Bing alloy for type 53 carb's

Started by john durrill, December 03, 2007, 11:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Does anyone in the group know what alloy is used in the Type 53 slide?
 Will that alloy take a hard chrome plating?  Bing still makes new sides for this carb but I would like to try extending the life of a new one I have headed my way from the folks in Kansas.
 John D.

Ernie Phillips

John,  I don't know the alloy but have you considered other coatings?  With hard chrome, the slide will have to be machined undersize, built back up with Chrome, then ground to finish diameter = $$.  You will have a very hard slide running in stock (soft) carb body.  I have been considering using Swain Tech (swaintech.com) coatings ... maybe PC-9 on slide (inpreg moly lube) and Lukon 24 (hard anodize) on carb body.  Let us know how your project turns out.  Good luck,

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

john durrill

Ernie,
 Anodizing the slide would be as good I think. Have never seen a slide made from the material the 53's are made from done that way. Bing does offer chrome slides for the  type 84's and 54's though. I think that hardening the slide will make them last as long as a Mikuni's. Mikuni's come both chrome and anodized.
 We had 2 Amal's ( same alloy as the Bings ) off a T140 Triumph  done back 15 years ago. A man in the North West  made up stainless steel slides for both our carb's and that did solve the problem . The slide in the Amal's  would get the frown face like our 53's do from hammering against the bore of the carb. If the slide on a type 53 will take chrome it might have to  be refit some to the carb. body.  Either plating or anodizing  would add to the some OD.
  I have seen the chrome come off Mikuni slides and it was not very thick. Maybe 4 or 5 thousandth of an inch at most. A used 27mm model 53 would already have some of the clearance needed I would think.
 Will not know unless we can find  someone to chrome it for sure and then the chrome shop should be able to tell me how thick the plating will be.
 I am in need of more knowledge before i can follow this up Chuckle chuckle! I have just enough understanding to be dangerous on this.
 John D.

john durrill

Ernie,
 It looks like it is a Zinc Alloy. Can anyone recommend a good Chrome shop that i could contact? Or someone that does anodizing that i could ask question of ?
John D.