Hairline Crack in my Sachs 125 pipe

Started by MattyQ, November 30, 2007, 01:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyQ

I was wondering is you can weld or what can be done for a hairline crack 3 inches long located in the bottom portion of my muffler located just below the exhaust manifold? I was told if I weld it , it could possibly just burn a whole through the pipe!  

thanks ,
Matty

Matthew Quinlan

thrownchain

Find a welder that can weld thin sheet, some one who builds exhaust pipes should be able to salvage it. If it's really gone, they should be able to tell you up front if it will burn through. You're talking MIG or TIG welding. Take your time and find the right guy.

Merlin

This is all you need to fix your pipe, never leave home without it.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

TGTech

Merlin, how did you end up with "my" torches? Looks exactly like my set.

Matt,
FYI, when the Penton's were being built, the pipes were built using oxy/acetylene torches, not tig or mig welders. So the suggestion by Merlin is a good one. I personally like to use a small torch to fix cracks in the the pipe body.

When mounting brackets, I like to use a tig welder, because usually the brackets are a little thicker, and the control of the heat is easier.

All this being said, welding experts with the correct type of equipment for the job, can fix anything. A mig welder with low enough amps and speed will work too.

Dane

Merlin

Dane,[:o)] I was hoping you didn't notice,[}:)] I snuck'em back this morning, thanks a bunch!!;)

Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

SouthRider

FYI - I welded hundreds & hundreds of dirt bike exhausts using an oxy/acetylene torch like the one above, and using coat hangar as a welding rod  - no flux needed.

Never had a single failure.

It's actually a fairly easily aquired skill.

Get some practice on something you don't care about first though or you may end up with a "gorilla weld" - you know - "ugly but strong"........

1979 SERA Louisiana State Champ
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

MattyQ

Thanks for all the great info !  Matty

Matthew Quinlan