Jackpiner -Best Year ?

Started by MattyQ, December 04, 2007, 04:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyQ

On my future wish list is a Jackpiner 175, I know that they were built for around 10 years or so.  I was wondering how much if any the motor changed? Also what are some of the drawbacks concerning the KTM 175 motor?  I looked in the archives and didn't see a whole lot of info about this.  Sorry if this question has been asked before, one good thing is, you always get new opinions on the subject.
Matty Q

Matthew Quinlan

DKWRACER

Hi, as far as I know, some of the early 175 motors had a unique gearbox, the shift drum was not female, it had male rings which mated with shift forks, female in orientation. If you should find a later motor, it might have the better clutch plates,non-sintered, which have pads that were angled, to sling the oil outwards, and the improved outer clutch cover, (better scavenging)...Courtesy of Bobby Lucas.

Hope this helps,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

G Ellis

Matthew the question you need to ask is what year you are looking for. 74 to 76 175 are good bikes with 7 fin motors. If you want a vintage bike then these years are for you. If you want more suspension, then a 77 to 1980 6 fin is what you are looking for. I ride a 77 and a 78 GS6 175, these bikes will keep up with 84 KDX's I have raced my bikes in the CC events with good luck. I you are looking for some 175's email me off line I think I can help you. Later Gary

rob w

Besides the very limited few of Steeltanker's dubbed the "Jackpiner".
Jackpiners were only made for 4 years. 72-73-74 & 75.
After the 1975 model year, 175's were not called Jackpiners any more.
Bob

SouthRider

I raced a 75 Jackpiner for 2 years in the mid 70's, and have always considered the 75 model to be the "classic" Jackpiner.

If my memory is correct it was the first motorcycle made with "lay down" shocks, and at the time it was considered revolutionary suspension - in a class all by itself.

Maybe it's just my fondness for the bike I once raced, but in my opinion that model would be the one that I would look for if I wanted a Jackpiner.

Others may prefer the older models because they were the 1st 175's built, but the 75 model began a new era of long travel suspension among all makes of dirt bikes.

Clark Gristina

1979 SERA Louisiana State Champ
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

MattyQ

As always, I appreciate all the great knowledge gained and  the passion from members of this great group! Merry Chrismas to all ! MattyQ

Matthew Quinlan

Rain Man

Matt, merry christmas to you too !!  I have 5 JP's and heres my input on them:
  The early JP's have a 12mm kicker shaft, and I got the last "brand new" one in the world in my " bucket O piner".   good for me. ;)
   Also the exhaust pipes nearly unobtainable on the earlier JPees.
  Al now has pistons for the early JP motor, a great thing !!

1974-75 had the 14mm kicker shaft and the later clutch, which is almost obtainable, fortunately.
 I also like the 35mm front forks and the lay down shocks on the later models!!  Suspensions always good, especially if ya wanna spend all day on the bike !!
  the early year bing carburetor also has an issue with the carburetor slide.  But being a competitive black smith has resolved the slide issue for me ;)
 So the biggest concern with the earlier JP'ees is the kicker shaft, exhaust pipes and the GD clutch plates (rattle rattle rattle) [8D]
2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tooclose racing

Matty - you've probably already seen it, but there is a lovely 1972 Jackpiner on eBay now.  Hmmm...anyone want to predict what this might bring?  I'm no expert, but I suspect it will do better than the last couple of Six Days.

Go for it, Matty!  Unless you can  getRain Man to part with one of the JPs from his stable (FIVE, Rain Man?!?).

G Ellis

If anybody is interested in the 175 JackPiner on ebay I can pick it up for you. I know this bike it is in good shape. I know the person that owns this bike. It is about 2hrs from my house. Just let me now if I can help. Later Gary

MattyQ

Tooclose , I did see the 1972 on e-bay (thx) seems a little to nice to get dirty!   I think it was mentioned above  there are issues with the clutch on that year?  Sounds like a 74 or 75 would be good for me , in rideable condition. Rainman needs to quit hording all those JP's!  Rainman, you mentioned about the kicker Shafts , is this something that wears out on the JP's frequently ? Matty

Matthew Quinlan

Big Mac

Technical correction to Bob's post above -- 5 years with bikes dubbed "Jackpiner":
'72-'75 and '97 limited edition 200.;)

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR