Sumter Natl Enduro

Started by Gary Roach, January 31, 2010, 07:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Roach

Gary just called from Sumter. Mullins won overall, Cory B. got 2nd, followed by Bobbit, then Lafferty. Cold all weekend. I am sure Gary will have more about the race to post when he gets home, just thought I would give a quick report.
Toni[:X]

Larry Perkins

Way to go Cory!  Keep it up and keep the pressure on.  Congrats!

Larry P

firstturn

Toni,
  Thanks for the update and we will be waiting for the rest of the story.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gary Roach

Weather played a major role in the 41st annual Sumter Enduro. The snow storm that hit the Nation Friday night caused the closing of Interstate 77 to all traffic, leaving some racers looking for alternative routes to get to the track. Out of the 600 pre-entered riders, less than 500 showed up. There were several snow-covered vehicles throughout the parking lot. Saturday was cold and raining, and just before nightfall it was spitting a little snow, but no accumulation. Saturday night the temperature got down into the teens. Sunday was sunny, but the temperature only got into the mid-40's.

Cory has done more riding and testing this winter than he ever has. He and KTM team mate Russell Bobbitt have spent the last month doing nothing but riding and training together down South. This has really bumped up Cory's speed, and his confidence level is at an all time high. He really felt that he had a good chance of winning this weekend, but the Overall Champion, Charlie Mullins, had everyone covered. Cory said that he didn't fall the whole day, and he only made one mistake to where he had to get off of the bike and lift both wheels out of a rut, giving up almost a minute to Mullins in that one section. He said that even though he didn't win, he still had a good time and felt that he rode well.

Here's the full race report from the NEPG website:

Charlie Mullins heated up the course, leaving the rest of the competition in the cold as he put his Obermeyer/AmPro Yamaha on top of the box at the opening round of the Rekluse/AMA National Enduro Series in Sumter, South Carolina, today.

With temperatures dipping down into the teens on Sunday morning, most of the 492 competitors had a tough time getting into the flow of things, but Mullins was able to shake off the frost and beat out fellow GNCC-regular Cory Buttrick by nearly two minutes over the six-section, 82-mile course.

Defending series champ Russell Bobbitt held the lead at the end of the first section, covering the distance 18 seconds faster than Mullins, while Husaberg's Michael Lafferty and KTM's Cory Buttrick followed a few seconds back.

Mullins was quickest in the second section, with Lafferty 15 seconds back and Buttrick another second behind Lafferty. Bobbitt had problems with slower riders in a mud bog and finished the section 30 seconds off the pace.

Lafferty took the sandy and whooped out third test, edging Mullins by two seconds, while Bobbitt was quickest in section four.

Mullins took a considerable lead in the fourth section when he finished the 15-mile stretch in 9:28 seconds, compared to Buttrick's 10:00, Bobbitt's 10:06, and Lafferty's 10:08.

Buttrick turned up the heat in the final section, claiming the fastest time over Mullins by nine seconds, which was good enough to claim second but not to catch Mullins.

Mullins was happy to get the win, along with the check that went along with it.

"I'm basically just riding for contingency money this year so you could say I am racing to get paid," said Mullins. "This is a good way to start off the series and I feel good about the year. I made a few mistakes in the first two section, but the last four I just put my head down and rode mistake-free."

Buttrick was equally happy.

"I was basically trying to get a good rhythm all day and the only problem was I got stuck in a rut and had to get off the bike," said Buttrick. "I was flowing a lot better with the bike at the end of the day and I really had fun."

Bobbitt put his factory KTM on the final step of the podium, edging Lafferty by 26 seconds. Meanwhile, Husaberg's Nick Fahringer and Husqvarna's Glenn Kearney rounded out the top six.

Overall:

1. Charlie Mullins (Yam)
2. Cory Buttrick (KTM)
3. Russell Bobbitt (KTM)
4. Michael Lafferty (Hsb)
5. Nick Fahringer (Hsb)

brian kirby

Thanks for the race report. I noticed he as on a two stroke at the Battle of Atlanta team race in January too, it is a 250 or 300?

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Gary Roach

Hi Brian,

Cory's bike is a 250. It's an XC model, but the electric starter and battery have both been removed to save weight. It has a 250SX cylinder head and an internal flywheel ignition. Both mods give the bike more power and make it hit harder. It has a FMF pipe and silencer, but other than that, the rest of the motor is stock.

Cory will ride the 2-stroke at the National Enduros where the woods are going to be tight, and then he'll ride a 450 4-stroke on the more open Enduros and GNCC's.  

Gary

brian kirby

Yet another example of how much above us guys like Cory are. There is a large market in flywheel weights, most people need more mass than stock to make the bikes manageable in tight woods. Cory on the other hand has done everything he can to make that bike explode out of corners when he pulls the trigger.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

And man oh man he does have the strength, youth, and brain to PULL the trigger.  He is truly amazing to watch.

Larry P

brian kirby

Larry,

Cory is amazing, Kalib Russell too. I am looking forward to getting more helmet camera footage of him blowing my doors off at the GNCC in Georgia next month. :D

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian