What is best for painting frames

Started by Olmy, November 13, 2001, 10:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olmy

Hey, guys I have heard about powder coating frames for painting and all this stuff.  What is the best most effective way to paint the frame on my bike?  What is the process on how I should do it? Bike is an 83' KTM 495.  Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
        Mike

deek

My frame is powder coated, came out great.
Process is: sand blast (remove old paint and rust), degrease, prime, powdercoat, bake at 300 degrees. Wala done. Of course they protect all areas that are not to be painted.

Dale

deek

Steve Minor

For some of us on a tight budget, just how expensive is powdercoating a frame?...

Steve Minor

deek

My frame is powder coated, came out great.
Process is: sand blast (remove old paint and rust), degrease, prime, powdercoat, bake at 300 degrees. Wala done. Of course they protect all areas that are not to be painted.

Dale

deek

Steve Minor

For some of us on a tight budget, just how expensive is powdercoating a frame?...

Steve Minor

grandpaul

Budget is one thing, "Life Cycle Cost" is another. Regular paint will require more fixes (with associated cost to tear down, etc.) over the useable life of the paintjob, powdercoating will require less.

GrandPaul,
Host of the Vintage Bikes forum at //www.delphi.com/oldbikes and the Triumph Bonnevilles Forum at //www.delphi.com/grandpaul
GrandPaul,
Host of the Vintage Bikes forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/oldbikes and the Triumph Bonnevilles Forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/grandpaul

john durrill

Something that might bear looking at if you powder coat is grounds. It might be a good idea if you powder coat to make up some ground straps .
 The engine and the frame should be well grounded. the lights and coil also. Powder coating puts a very hard surface down and un less you have a clean metal surface, your grounds wont be good. It could blow bulbs , reduce the spark and damage the motoplats. ( could be why so many failed in years gone by). Just regular paint and normal corrosion can do this.

Ignition Backing plates and screws should be bright shiny metal. Stock, the engine mount bolts are suppose to supply the grounds for the motor and frame. the washers would cut through the paint when tightened and supply the ground. Powder coating is a lot harder and might not give enough.
Water proof wheel bearing grease or silicon grease is used to keep the metal surfaces from the air and moisture.
Sounds like it would pay to use ground straps if you powder coat . clean off two or so spots and run the strap from the engine to the frame. One for the  ignition coil would be a good idea also ( clean a spot on the frame for the ground from the coil).
Just a thought Folks.
John D.

Edited by - JOHN DURRILL on 11/15/2001  9:11:47 PM

Olmy

Next question...  I live near Akron, Ohio what kinda money am I looking at and where can I take it to get this done??  Thanks for the tip on ground protection.
Mike

rcb

try Summit powder coaters,1206 WoosterRd.,North Barberton, Ohio, 44203 330-753-7040

OUCWBOY

I don't know what powder coating cost in the mid-west, but out here in CA, I get them done for $125.00. That includes the frame, swingarm, pegs, engine bracket, brake stay rod, and brake pedal.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Olmy

Thanks guys for all the input.  It has been a lot of help.
Mike