Jon Leak Tribute

Started by VICTOR MONZ, March 22, 2008, 10:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VICTOR MONZ

Thanks and I hope you all have some more Jon Leak stories.....I always was looking for him On Any Sunday in hopes of watching a fast and smooth racer. He made the Penton bike look like artwork.

I am interested in others stories as Jon was an inspiration to me and I would love to hear and share his story with our group...I do this with the utmost respect and prayer.

Victor

scott brogan

I saw Jon Leak race at Norwalk dragway in the late 70s.  They had a moto-cross track at the time. By then he was riding Yamahas. He was an absolutly awsome rider.  All us local  kids wished we could ride like that someday! Another time they had a motocross race at the Huron county fair Jon rode in those races. I belive he won all his race's but I can't remember for sure. But they also had some other contest's as well. One was the wheelie contest. There where sevral riders entered.  The event took place on the front strait away of the 1/2 mile horse race track in front of the grandstnd. One by one all the riders took thier turn, a couple guys did quite well going down the track a couple hundred yards. Then it was Jon Leaks turn.  Off he went, one lap all the way around the 1/2 mile , then two, then three, then four, then they started waving at him that he could stop now he won. And on the fifth lap they had to all most jump in front of him to get him to stop.  It was an amazing thing to a kid like me.  

Scott

P S I never did learn to wheelie:(

VICTOR MONZ

Scott:

I raced the Norwlk track a few times and I do remember Jon riding a Yamaha one year and saying, man that bike has no shocks !  I believe it was one of the first monoshocks and he was really flying.

I remember him on that bike racing against Jack Horinek and George Singlar at Smith Road raceway, aka, Singlar's in Medina, Ohio, and what a Pro Class to watch....thanks for a great story.

Victor