Tire selection

Started by skiracer, March 26, 2008, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

It has been 30 years since I last bought tires for a bike, so, I am looking for some input on tire selection for my 76 250 MC5.  I plan on doing some trail riding and enduros with this bike.

Thanks,

James
original owner 1976 250 MC5
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mick Milakovic

If you like a vintage look in a medium-priced tire that has good wear life, try the Kenda 257D.  I like mine,

Mick

Mick

Steve Minor

My thoughts exactly...K257D's are listed as intermediate terrain tires..I order them (along with new tubes and rim bands) online from Dennis Kirk. I put them on all my Pentons.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Dwight Rudder

Not bad choice but the Pirelli MT16 front and rear are an even better choice.  Modern materials and vintage looks.  They work so good that I use them on my modern bikes. Use the 110/100X18 rear.  The 120/100X18 is HUGE.
Dwight

Mick Milakovic

I agree on the tire size.  the 100/110 fits well on my 75 250- Harescrambler.  I bought the 120 for my 390 Husky and have to trim the knobs a little to clear the chain!  It hooks up real nice, though!

Mick

Mick

skiracer

Hey guys, thanks for the input.  In redoing my bike, I am not looking to complete it as original.  I am more interested in function than form.  When I uncrated the bike on day one, the first thing I did was to change the front fender to a "Mudder," and change the tires.  

I am looking for tires that work well in the mud, and the other nasty obsticles here in the northeast, rather than ones that look vintage.  This bike was built to compete, and that is what I intend to do with it. Thanks again!
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

[email protected]

You can't go wrong with Michelin s-12, I use them on my 74 Mint 400 and my 07 KTM 300, they hook up well with good durability.

tomale

I have been using the S 12's for the last 4 or so years and I really like them... Last year I put a M 12 on both of my racers and I like it even better for the rear...up front I am staying with the S 12, the S has a bit smaller and closer together knobs than the M, but since I tend to race mostly on sandy or loamy tracks, they really hook up well, and I have been getting a long life span out of all of the michelins... Front tire are really important to spend good money on... the last thing I want to be worring about is how good the tire is as I stuff it into a corner.... just my two cents worth....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

paul

Hey, your MC5 needs an MC5 by Metzler. I use them on my KTM 520 and they work great in all terrain I have run across including the famed Carolina Clay. If the rear hooks up with the mega motor I am sure a 250 would get some great use out of this tire. Motorcycle Superstore.Easy,TTP

wfopete

S-12's are great but a trials tire on the rear will put it to shame in minimum Cross Country traction conditions.  Not great on a grass track but everywhere else (mud, rocks, hard pack, loam, roots and wet anything) look out! Plus 3-5X the life of a knobby. Sometimes they can give too much traction [:0] and for sure not a period correct tire.  S-12 on the front hoop and a trails tire on the rear hoop. Try it, for the North East, I'll bet you like it...a lot.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good