Modern KTM Oils

Started by Mick Milakovic, April 05, 2008, 02:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, looking for some information about modern KTM tranny and clutch oils.  

Our '04 85SX says to use Motorex Topspeed 4T 15W50 oil in the tranny.  Is this available only through KTM, or do other shops carry a similar oil?  Has anyone found a substitute at a local supermarket like Wal-Mart?  

Also, the hydraulic-operated clutch says Motorex Kupplungs-Fluid 75.  That seems pretty specific, so same question about suppliers.  

Thanks again,
Mick

Mick

brian kirby

Most dealerships of other brands wont stock Motorex but they can order it for you. The transmission oil is no different than Spectro or BelRay gear saver or any other two stroke trans oil, but the clutch fluid does sound special. Dwight has modern KTMs he might be able to add some info.

Brian
Brian

paul

Hey, I think I bought Motorex at Cycle Gear if you have one near you. Thats what I run in my 02 520. I am on my way over there shortly and will look for ya. Its best to use what KTM recomends as EVERYTHING has been thought out on these bikes by folks that know much more than most of us. I wanted to use mobil 1 and found out that is a big no no as its too slippery for the clutch. Who knew till ya ask huh. Have a great weekend.TTP

Jeff Reid

Any dealer that buys from Parts Unlimited can get the Motorex brand oils. The clutch fluid is mineral oil and can also be ordered as a Magura item from page 611 of the 2008 Parts Unlimited catalog.

Jeff Reid
Jeff Reid

sixdazed

I used mineral oil from the local walgreens for the clutch fluid and Motul semi synthetic 15w50 for the engine and it worked fine in my 520.Or Magura sells you a tiny little bottle for a lot more.I think i still have some left,so when i get home from work today i'll look and see what the brand name,etc. is on the Walgreen's Racing Mineral Oil.:D
                                    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

paul

Mick, If there is a Cycle Gear located near you they stock Motorex. I checked yeaterday (actually remembered). If you cant get it locally and want me to pick some up let me know. TTP

Dennis Jones

+1 on the mineral oil for the clutch. Mrs. Mick probably has some in a cabinet some where.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones