'75 Penton 100--Strenghts/Weaknesses?

Started by sundog, December 01, 2001, 12:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundog

I'm about to buy a 100 Enduro (Berkshire?) from a "friend". I plan to register it & use it around town & for some dirt riding. I thumbed thru the Penton Manual, HP is something like 16, it suggests a trans oil change after every long enduro. Is this bike geared toward competition? (Sachs Mtr.) I realize the suspention is a bit "short" on travel, but will the cycle hold together OK for my 215 LBS.? (Occasional light trail usage.) Lastly: about what is the range in price that this bike, with lighting, 2.5K, Speedo, Orig. Tool Kit, could bring? Thanks

john durrill

sundog,
What year is the 100? Is it an A or B motor?
I had a 72 100 that I used in enduros and trail rideing. It was tagged and it worked fine for around town trips to the store.
It will hold up fine for trail riding and in competition.
The little 100 and I were even abble to get a few trophys together.
You do need to make sure its in good mechanical condition and have the right springs on the rear shocks for your weight and usage.
As to the price it would all depend on how good a condition the bike is in.
Maybe some others on Pog can give you a better idea about that.
Hope this was some help,
John

Doug Wilford

sundog
The 100 is a great engine.  The reason the book suggest a trans oil change after a long enduro was because we did a lot of water crossings. this doesn't pertain to the type of riding you will be doing. I use 700cc  Golden Spectro Trans. Oil 80w which is actually about a 10/30w   If it is a 75 and as nice as you say $1500 would be close, maybe even a bargain.

Paul Danik

You haven't said if the Berkshire is a Steel Tanker or a CMF machine with a fiberglass tank. You did say that you had a Penton manual.  If you follow what is said in the manual, stuff like keep those motor bolts tight, keep the swingarm properly maintained, check those wheel bearings, fork bearings, ect, that machine should be quite ridable.  Also, check the aircleaner,if it is old pitch it and buy a new on.  The old foam filters can deteriate and it's not worth the risk. If you plan on "really" riding the machine I would recommend a set of modern shocks such as Works Performance. I weigh in at close to 200 lbs and ride a 125cc CMF machine that is in the Red Berkshire trim. Those machines like to rev and are a real blast to ride.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.

PS  If the machine is a Steel Tanker, it won't handle as well as a CMF machine, but I sure wouldn't pass it by if the deal is right. All Berkshires are in rather short supply as compared to the green 125 Six-day machines.