VDO cable routing to wheel?

Started by imported_n/a, April 20, 2008, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Hi, what's the best route for the VDO cable to front wheel so I can avoid having it get pinched at the fork bumpers? thanks,

Chris H.
74 Six Day

Big Mac

OK Chris, you've been abandoned on this question, so I'll take a stab...

On a '73 250 HS, I ran the cable down behind the lower clamp to the right behind the fork tube, zip-tied to the tube just above the clamp, then left it looped out the side/back, curving down to the lower fork leg right side, where I zip-tied it again for support before it entered the drive. The drive was clamped in at about the 11:00 position in relation to the leg angle, more or less. Never had a pinching problem or foul into the tire tread, but when that fork compresses there's a big-ole loop sticking out there to catch on whatever.

Here's a pic of the same cable route on a '77 GS6 I used to own, with a too-long cable in my opinion, but never gave me a problem. It's in the capable hands of Skip Miller down Tucson way now, and he might have come up with some better setup. Hope it helps.
http://mcleanjfamilyspace.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!F4DB2A95F04B6E9B!140/?&_c02_owner=1
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

DKWRACER

Hi Chris, listed on my website are custom made VDO cable holders, made from stainless steel. The clamping area is from 50 to 55m usually associated for M-zoke equipped bikes. If you think one might work, I will send one for the cost of shipping......BTW, how is your 77 GS coming?
LT
Thomas Brosius

imported_n/a

Thx guys for the reply! I know it was sort of a dumb question[:p]. I was just a little concerned cause it get's hung up behind the bumper peg, but only when I'm moving the bike around, loading, unloading,etc. I don't really think it'll hang up while riding though since the front end probably won't ever get turned that sharp. Thanks Bic Mac for taking the time. Tom B., I used your idea and put a real lightweight guide on the fork that came off of a Maico enduro. Seems to help keep it in line. Thanks for your offer though - nice stuff! Also, sorry, I think you have the wrong Chris H., I don't have a GS project (at least not yet!) I can always depend on replies from this group no matter how long it takes!!! Last one came from Speedy and I was really tickled to hear from him!

Thanks to All !

Chris H.

john durrill

Chris ,
 Could you take a picture of what you did and post it?
It would be helpful to me and others I bet.
Thank you,
John D.