jeff smith treasurer of ahrma again

Started by chicagojerry, April 15, 2008, 10:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

since many of the pog members are also ahrma members, this may be of interest.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=32042
chi jer

sachsmx

Maybe I will not get back into racing after all, niether vinatge or modern.:( It seems our sanctioning bodies are really screwed up, with what is going on behind the scenes at the AMA and AHRMA [V]
Secret ballots, firing of long-time employees w/o much explanation...[B)]
Maybe it truly is time to give up the bikes and get into classic cars. Not so much politics at car shows :D

chicagojerry

came back to the racing, its great fun and will continue to be so. at the races there really is not that much politics going on. i happen to be pretty vocal because i want the racing to continue and not die from mismanagement. vintage racing is still going strong, but there is always room for improvement. :)    chi jer

rob w

Jeff Smith is a good man, and I'm glad to hear this.
 I see they (ahrma) have lowered the penalty cost of post-entry at Perris. My opinion is - they should do the same at every event.
 I have totally enjoyed all the ahrma racing I've done in the past 5 years, and I thank the organization very much for a job well done.
 Only one race for me this year - Leroy's Reunion Ride. My interests have returned to skateboarding, and I also hope to get a couple XR100's so I can introduce my son to motorcycling.

454MRW

Bawb,
I'd make you a good deal at Mid-Ohio on the 1983 XR100 I picked up for my son at Mid-Ohio last year, if you are interested. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

tomale

I am not much interested in the politics and have enjoyed the AHRMA events that I have been to. the problem here in the northwest and I do mean the northwest. (California is not in the northwest geographically) Is that there are just too few races to close enough for me to attened... 800 miles is not close... so we have done something about that and we race non AHRMA vintage races....This year I will race 16 times and all but one of them will be under 200 miles away. So I as you what is better two event with ahrma or 16 with VDRNW and the Hammer and tong?

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

In those areas where promoters need association with a national group to get enough body count at events to break even or (gasp!) actually earn a buck, AHRMA is great and really helps keep riding/racing opportunities alive. Jeff Smith and all the hard working AHRMA management, volunteers and organizers should be applauded.

It's a beautiful thing though, when good local non-affilliated events and series can be put on and see strong attendance, helping the vintage racing opportunities survive and strive. We've got it good in the PacNW with lots of events to choose from and good, solid no-BS promoters who put on great events that are fun, cheap and friendly without ANY politics or wrangling. What great old-bike racing should be about.

I think the guys at CalVMX and MoVMX have it good that way too. Hope so.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Rain Man

All I got to comment on this matter is I'm glad for the outlaw tracks and also the small clubs that have fantastic races annually. And also the fact that some of the Countrys fastest racers came out of the North East from these type of ackbassward events.
   BTW  mototown Conn, closed last week, permanently :(  No FT race this coming WE.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

firstturn

Raymond,
  Don't forget Texas(and other areas).  AMA was practically non existent in Texas Moto X back in the 1970's.  The only AMA Races were for the Nationals.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

chicagojerry

i personally think that, although jeff can do a commendable job in the position of treasurer, it is devisive for the organization for him to hold it. many people feel that he did the right thing by resigning as treasurer when the stuff hit the fan with the ama issue of approving alleged inflated travel expenses. tho i don't always agree with his perspective on things, he works very hard to help do what he thinks is best for ahrma. but it is again putting ahrma in a controversial and devisive light that is unecessary. i just hope that the changes that he recommends can help ahrma be more transparent in their financial matters. i just don't think that he needed to step forward to be the treasurer again to help implement whataever changes he feels are necessary.
chi jer

firstturn

Jerry,
  I think it is important that Jeff does step forward since he is the one that has been put in a tough situation.  Sometimes running and hidding is not the correct thing to do.  I respect your opinion, but I have been at this a long time and Jeff has made himself open to a lot of critical opinions.  I respect his open attitude and I respect you for trying to help AHRMA.  With that said my vote will always be with Jeff since I know how it is to be in the postion to approve expense reports having done it for many years.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

chicagojerry

ron, i didn't say that he should run and hide (after all, he is still a trustee) and we both know him better than that. but i think that the decision for him to reassume the position of treasurer is unwise because its devisive. ahrma has endured much in the last few years and i sincerely believe that this is a another controversy that the organization can do without. he can help enact any changes that he deems necessary without having to be the treasurer. the different message boards have had lively conversations in regards to this and i believe that the trustees themselves were divided on the wisdom of this move. its going to be water under the bridge soon anyway, but again i think that the number of people talking about it underlines the fact that it is indeed devisive and ahrma does not need that for the purpose of jeff smith being the treasurer again. jerry..  

and thanks ron for your kind words of support for some of my efforts. it means a lot to me. :)

firstturn

Jerry,
  If any organization had a person like you with the effort and wisdom you bring to AHRMA they would be an automatic success.  I understand you comments, but we are discussing parallel discussions.  I do not monitor other web sites so you have have that area covered which I do not.  I am just discussing that I like that Jeff doesn't run and hide.  Thanks for you work you do for AHRMA and it was great to see you at Don's.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Jerry,

Do you really think there is not much AHRMA polotics that flow over into racing?  Just curious as it looks different to me.  The 100 mess seems like the norm from here but I respect your opinion.

Larry P

Jeff D

Couple of comments...
First about Jeff Smith.  I think AHRMA is lucky to have him.  From all outward appearances he is a straight-shooting honest guy and if he has an "agenda" I think it has to do with preserving vintage racing, period.  I look at him in much the same light as I do Bugs... I've had discussions with Bugs in years past where I thought my view was "more valid" than his, but time and experience have proven me wrong and him right in every case.  Sometimes we might not understand the angle some of our wise old sages are coming from, but they're almost always correct in the long run.
Second, racing and politics...is there a circuit/series/region out there that isn't full of someone(s)personal agendas?  Somebody's always got their fingers in the pie somewhere, whether it's to make it easier for their buddies to win, too allow a certain element to participate (type of bike, youth classes, model year, whatever) or simply to have fun without a rulebook thick enough to use as a bike stand.
Me, I just wanna have fun riding, that's my agenda and I don't get to fulfill it nearly enough!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell