CMF swing arms/100cc stuff

Started by brian kirby, April 25, 2008, 12:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalmx

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but during the SoCal glory days, it was not a Penton sweeping the 100cc class. Sig Erson's (of cam fame) son raced a Honda SL100 and ruled Ascot, Lion's Dragstrip, etc. I always suspected that it was a cheater and was pumped out to around 150cc but never found out for sure.

firstturn

Sig never showed up in Texas so it was 100 Pentons that were winning in the Glory Days of Texas Moto X [:p].  I have helped build some of the little Honda way back when and they were fast especially with a  light rider.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

socalmx

I started out on a 1971 SL100 and did all the usual tricks:
Opened up intake and exhaust ports
Ground down the rocker arms
Hi lift cam
High compression piston
Honda 305 carb mated to a Webco mainfold
Filtron "sock" aircleaner
Bassani megaphone exhaust system
Lengthened swingarm
21 inch front wheel
Curnutt shocks

Darn thing made a lot of noise but still could not keep up with the two strokes. What was interesting is that Honda built a special four stroke 125 for Bruce Baron to race at Ascot against the Mettco boys. It was a very pathetic mis-match.

firstturn

socal,
  We had a lot of tricks for the 4 strokes and I saw some at the Factory after I went to work for Honda that I had never seen before.  It is call liquid money.  All of the old days of racing was great.  One of my best Friends had a fit out running the 125 Bultacos with his Elsinore.  He did beat them, but it was a catch them in the corners.  Years later I was visiting with a old factory wrench who told me that the bike (Bultacos) were 175cc.  We had a good laugh at how the riders couldn't even beat my Friend with a 50cc advantage.  Great memories.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

Ron,

What years did you work for Honda? I am taking a temporary breather from Penton's to put together a Honda XR75 out of nostalgia...I can still remember my dad pulling in the driveway with a silver XR in the back of his pickup. It should be a fun play bike and my little niece will love to race around the yard on it.

Chris

firstturn

Chris,
  1978 - 2002

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Chris,
     My brother used to flat track a XR75. My dad did a little bit of work to the motor. I think he changed the cam and carb and if I can remember right added a battery. Also, of course a header by JR I think,small rear tire so he could reach the ground. That bike was fast,I seen it out run a stock 100cc in a straight line.

The Kawasaki Green Streak also used to be a force in the 100cc class here in S.C.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

socalmx

Do you mean the Kawasaki Centurion?

tmc3c

Socal, Yes, I mean Centurion. I don't know why we didn't call them that back in the day we just knew them by Green Streak.

Thanks for the link Steve!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

socalmx

They were fast bikes but rather flimsy and tinish. I had a friend who raced one at Ascot MX back then. He put a down pipe on it but could not figure out why it kept getting pulled out from the cylinder after each jump. Turns out he had wired the pipe to the swingarm which you could say did not work too well. I also had a friend who took a 100 cc (trail boss?) no Centurian engine and put it into a Rickman frame and raced desert on it.

tmc3c

Socal,I was asked to flat track one for a guy in Orangeburg S.C. He said he wanted out front at all cost. I remember running it as hard as I could into the corners that the front tire was hollering. The best I could do was 4th. I remember the big plush seat and those HARD grips and that mesmerizing lime green tank!! Sorry for the rambling I am back now[^]

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

454MRW

Dwight,
Check out the 2nd pic on this eBay listing for a 1978 Hercules. The right hand side panel is shaped very similar to the one on this bike with the exception of the numberplate positioning, and like I mentioned, I think it was off of a Hercules and trimmed where it is flared out for shock clearance to provide exhaust pipe clearance in this case, but probably just not this particular year model. Mike
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180250094596&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

brian kirby

I agree with Dwight, I dont think its a Herc side panel. If you look at the side panel on the Berkshire althought it has been trimmed you can see the bulge for the Penton right side exhaust, not the left side like the Herc. I think its probably a trimmed aftermarket side panel.

Brian
Brian

FrankenPenton

Here's another one I found:

Item# 270015764677 - seller says it's from a 1972 Penton 125cc Six-Day ENDURO, Frame# 20957473, Sachs# 7176349

Were all bikes set up the same from the factory, with enduro "kits" being sold separately or dealer-installed, or were different versions factory-produced?

Brad Webster
Houston, TX
------------
assorted aftermarket parts, with a front end, wheels, and Berki motor from a steel tanker, all stitched together in a '72 CMF frame, then buried alive for a quarter of a century...  can it live again?
Brad Webster
Houston, TX
------------
assorted aftermarket parts, with a front end, wheels, and Berki motor from a steel tanker, all stitched together in a \\\'72 CMF frame, then buried alive for a quarter of a century...  can it live again?