MX vs. Enduro tank identification

Started by marsattacks, June 29, 2008, 07:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

I've tried searching past posts with no clear results.  I have a '72 Jackpiner.  For bikes of that year:
(1) Did the toaster tank come in two different sizes (mx and enduro)?
(2) Is there any way to tell the difference in the tanks apart from measuring fuel capacity or comparing the two side by side?

Apart from the tank and lights, were the MX bikes distinctly different from Enduro bikes?  This is all going to the question whether one can reliably tell whether a bike was initially supplied as an mx and then converted to enduro, or whether it was an enduro with the lights removed for mx?

Many thanks for any input.  Best, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

firstturn

John,

(1) Did the toaster tank come in two different sizes (mx and enduro)?
  In 1972 the only 175 Jackpiners I saw had the Enduro (Toaster) tank.  I started seeing the MX tank show up in the middle of 1973 in the South(Texas and surrounding states).

(2) Is there any way to tell the difference in the tanks apart from measuring fuel capacity or comparing the two side by side?
  The two tanks are so different that you shouldn't have to measure the capacity.  The MX tank is much smaller.

Apart from the tank and lights, were the MX bikes distinctly different from Enduro bikes?..........NO............

This is all going to the question whether one can reliably tell whether a bike was initially supplied as an mx and then converted to enduro, or whether it was an enduro with the lights removed for mx?

As I said that all the 1972 Jackpiners I saw (down South) were Enduro bikes with lights or MX bikes with the toaster tanks(and only number plate on the front where the headlight would go).  You would probably notice the wires run for the lights if someone did a conversion if they did release the light wires at the wiring box.

I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

marsattacks

Many thanks for that great info. Though a bit of a generalization,I guess there are four somewhat distinct eras with some overlap at the edges and obvious allowance for Mattighofen creativity:

1.Steel tank
2.Toaster tank
3.Mx tank/Watermelon tank
4.GS and later (not to sure about this)
With some Hi Points thrown in there too!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Dennis Jones

John, the MX and the Watermelon are completly different tanks. The Watermelon replaced the Toaster as the enduro tank on the 74 1/2 - 76 models.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

rpage11

What I think John is saying is that the Mx and Watermelon tanks were being used about the same era, not the same tank.

STEEL  

TOASTER  

MX ( IN FRONT)  

WATERMELON  

HI POINT  

GS  

Skip

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

marsattacks

Yes!  As Skip graphically shows and based on Ron's and others' input (not my own), I was attempting to categorize the eras.  I have a watermelon on my Harescrambler and nobody would ever mistake it for an MX.  I like Mike's (last name not known) description of the MX as the "peanut" tank.  I think it would be nice to turn Skip's post into something more permanent on the "identify your Penton" page.
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Rain Man

Thanks Skip, now I know what kind of tanks I have. Nice tanks ya got there too [:p]  
Dont forget that clark made a great big GS tank that held 3 + gals.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Dennis Jones

Skip I see what you mean now ( thats what happens when I read and post before coffee ). I too think your great tank identification post should be made permanent some where. BTW there are at least four versions of the Hi Point tanks. MX and Enduro for non-highbreather frames and MX and Enduro highbreather frames.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

rpage11

Dennis, I wasn't aware of all the different HI Point tanks, thanks for the info.

Hi Point MX  

Hi Point Enduro

And don't forget the MX5

Then there's the Wassels

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

rob w

In the Penton-Husky accessories catalog / Pre CMF / Pre Hi-Point Accessories - there were no accessory gas tanks offered.

CMF era/ '72 "toaster tank" (one size), used thru '73, maybe a few straglers in '74 (?)

In the Penton/Hi-Point catalog dated 3-73, available were the super skinny 1.8 gal.(?) and the 3.6 gal. Hi-Point aluminum gas tanks - for '72 CMF frames only. (a.k.a. "peanut tank")

In agreement with Ron, first saw the OEM 1.8 gal. slim MX tank on my 305xxxxx Berkshire.

In the Spring '74 Hi-Point Accessories catalog, there were 6 different aluminum tanks offered for Pentons. 4 new models for Hi-Breather's.
 Same through the '76 catalog - in '77, only the 1.9 gal. Hi-Breather aluminum tank was offered as an accessory.

The MX tank (apx. 305xxxxx), and Watermelon Enduro tank (begins 311xxxxx) were on '74's, '74 1/2's, and '75 model bikes -- Up to the '76 Cross Country models, and '76 MC5 models.

The '76 Penton Cross Country models / first orange bikes / pre GS6 / had a gas tank that was much like the first '72 toaster tank. Different identity by having a sharper/pointier shape to the nose, or the front leading edges of the tank.
as in ->
http://www.pentonusa.org/photos/2003/vintagedays/bikes/regviews/Dsc03870.jpg

'77, larger GS6 tank has a recessed groove for the L shaped decal to follow.

Thanks John, Skip, Ron, Dennis, Raymond, all...
Bob

thrownchain

There's nothing like pictures to help sort things out.[8D]