Chain Roller for 72-75 100/125 CMF

Started by john durrill, October 06, 2008, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Folks,
 We modified the chain guide block on my 73 Six-Day to take a sealed bearing chain roller. Instead of rubbing through in the bottom , the chain now rests on the roller and it seems to work well. We tested it last weekend in Tallahassee with Rick G and 10 other riders. We made about 60 miles on Sat.
 Would their be interest enough in it for me to post some pictures and give a parts list for the mod?
 John D.

brian kirby

Post away John. I was looking at my guide the other day and was thinking to myself that a roller would work better but I was hesitant to start reinventing the wheel.

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

john durrill

Brian,
 Here is a list of the Moose chain rollers available with sealed bearings. We used the M795-14.

We cut the bottom of the block wide enough to take the roller and a bit more. My block did not have the steel sleeves that some come with. The 6 mm mounting bolts go through the sleeves. The steel sleeves keep you from crushing the block if you over tighten. The hole diameter of the roller is 8 mm . We made up 2 steel inserts just a little wider than the cut plastic block sides . That allowed us to keep the bearing seals away from the block so they would not be damaged.
 Then drilled the 6mm hole out in the block in steps to accept the sleeves we made. Be careful the block's break easy chuckle chuckle! You need to widened the lower hole mounting/ adjustment slot from 6 mm to 8 mm in the chain guide bracket's. Bolt it up with a new 8 mm the right length and your set to jet. Will post pictures tomorrow so my ramblings make a little sense [:p]

TGTech

John,
I went onto Moose's online catalog, and they're not showing the M795-14 roller. They are showing the other versions, but not that one. I'm guessing based on the dimensions that your showing, that the roller that you're using, has a "rib" in the middle of the roller?
Dane

john durrill

That's the one Dane. 32 is the OD every where but at the rib. The rib OD is 38. The chart is from Thumper Talks web site and the Parts Unlimited catalog page.
  ( http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=804 )
 We just got it so they should not be hard to find. It was 20 mm wide and there is not much room in the block so we went with that one. It worked out well. The rib runs about dead center. With the added travel
Of the 75 Six-Day style 125 Sachs setup we had to run a lot of chain slack. The roller looked like a good way to keep the chain block and have it last more than one or two rides. Did you folks do this back in the Day?
 I know you folks did a lot of great side projects we never heard about.
 John D.

firstturn

John,
  Did you set up the roller in the same plain of the frame as we discussed?  Or did you do something different?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron ,
I think so. Take a look and tell me if this is what you were talking about.

Let me know if you folks see something i missed.
It's the first run R&D chuckle chuckle!!!!
[:o)]
John D.

brian kirby

Looks pretty good to me John.

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian