Sachs 6 speed Gearing/top speed

Started by brian kirby, October 06, 2008, 08:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I want to go as fast as it will go. I guess the real question should be, does anybody know what the top speed is on a Super Rodent?:D

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand

Top speed of a Hodaka 100B+ is 50mph with trail gearing. A Super Rat will probably do 55mph because of a bit more RPM.  
My Zundapp GS125 (5spd gearbox) tops at 55mph.  My Combat Wombat tops out about 55mph. My Hercules K100GS has 13/54 gearing and I think it tops out about 60-65mph.  My Kawasaki KE100 / G5 tops out about 55-60mph depending on pipe used. My Honda SL100 tops out about 60mph. Now Mike Burgess used to have a Penton Berkshire 100 that would top 80mph. He outran Don Rosene down a dirt road and Don was on a 250 Hare Scrambler.  I think Doug Wilford had a Six Day 125 that would top 90mph. Or so he says....LOL.
My feelings are that a 100 that will do 50-60mph is plenty. A 125 that does 55-70 is plenty.
IMO,
Dwight

brian kirby

Thanks Dwight, that is good info too. If your Herc K100GS has 13/54 then I feel better that 13/57 will not be that far off. I'll still bring a 12 and 14 with me just in case though.

Brian

Brian

lksseven

Brian,

there isn't a lot of drastic elevation changes in Tulsa at Zink Ranch.  So taller gearing would certainly be easier to carry here than, say, Missouri in 06.

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I hear that the Zink Ranch '04 ISDT-RR had two track terrain tests that had the bikes pinned in top gear. In case they have something like that this year, does anyone know what the top speed of a 6A/6B is with the standard gearing? Anybody know off hand how much gearing a 100 can pull on flat ground? Any of you real ISDT Vets (Dane in particular) have any advice on how to set a Berkshire for high speed riding?

For another brand bike I have a factory manual that actually lists with a matrix the speed in each gear with a given set of c/s and rear sprockets, is there anything out there like that for the Sachs?

The couple of times I've ridden my 100 hard I think I barely ever got into 5th gear on a motocross track and for sure not 6th with 12/57 gearing. I've got a 13T and a 12T c/s sprocket, I've got the 12T on there now for MX so I can start in 2nd gear, but it sounds like I'll want at least the 13T for Zink Ranch. Will a 100 pull 14/57?

Brian

Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time