I need some help

Started by Steve Minor, December 08, 2001, 10:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Got a 77 400 GS6 that I'm taking apart to paint the frame....having 2 problems.....

Getting the triple clamps off of the steering head and getting the swing arm detatched from he frame....can't figure out how to remove the clamps for painting....and as for the swing arm, the manual calls for a 24mm wrench holding a nut on the right side of the swing arm while you turn the long 12mm allen head swing arm bolt...I don't see the 24 mm nut....any advice is greatly appreciated....

Steve Minor

Steve Minor

Got the swing arm figured out and dismantled but still need help on removing the triple clamp from the steering head. I need to check the bearings and replace the O rings ....thought I'd paint the frame while it's stripped....I'd appreciate any help.

Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Steve, b-fore getting the hammer in attack mode , the top clamp has three friction surfaces to deal with....two being the clamping area surrounding the fork tubes, and the third being the clamp around the center post...I assume you have loosened the allen bolts etc....For the two clamping tube surfaces, I use two stubby flat blade screw drivers placed in the slot just aft of the tubes in the top triple tree, the idea is to relieve some of the pressure from the "set" that has "taken" over the years of being clamped, do not over drive the stubbys into this opening, use sense, etc...the other mating surface has the same issue as the center clamp has probably taken a "set"....once you have stubbys in place, use liberal amounts of BG Force penetrating oil, also can use a heat from a small propane portable...use a dead blow hammer with plastic face with equal force blow upwards on all three surfaces, use judgment if you can get movements of .005 at a time them you are working in the right direction...Upwards Right!!!!!

Tom......

Thomas Brosius

Steve Minor

Thanks for the advice Tom (and the advice of John Durrill)....I'm sure using a strap wrench on the fork tubes wouldn't hurt either. If I can get them moving, I can get them off...then it's a matter of replacing rusty, pitted tubes....any sources you knmow of? Anyone heard from Frank's Forks lately? He still in business?

Steve Minor