1978 MC-5 400

Started by marsattacks, October 24, 2008, 08:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

I'm posting this as a favor to the owner and possibly to any POGer who wants it.  This is a bike for sale near Pittsburgh, PA.  I took a look at it last weekend. It is the mx version. My idea was to set it up as a real barnstorming GS and maybe even put supermoto tires on it. But realistically I think it is too much bike for me.  It is a about a 6-7 point bike. I have a few bad photos I could try to send if you PM me. Frame seems perfectly fine, along w/ swingarm.

Entire bike seems straight and true. Rear shocks look nice but I didn't get the brand.  Tank is intact but a little rough.  Left side cover is replacement and is red, but right side seems fine.  Fenders are fine ("KTM Professional" in front).  Seat is very nice as I recall. Marzocchi forks seem great (red sliders).  Pipe looks fine.  Has a small stinger end as I recall.  Good tires.  I'm told it runs but I didn't fire it up.  It comes with an extra 400 ktm engine that might be seized. Also comes with a spare tank, the rear frame loop (which bolts on so you can convert to GS fender I suppose), extra kicker, shifter, levers etc.  I didn't see the parts so I couldn't say if they were damaged left overs from a crash, or what. Seller wants to get $1200 for it.  If seriously considering, PM me for details to call seller.  Best, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

evomx244

I emailed him last week, saw the ad on Craigslist. Never got a reply. I end up buying a 78 KTM 250 MC-5 on the border of Mich/Ohio

Nick

I saw this bike too - it's as John described.  I think the owner, who has a shop near Steel City MX, told me the shocks were rebuilt Fox shocks, that had no time on them.  The bike must have been bought at Dirty Harry's in Pittsburgh (actually, Verona), because I remember seeing that stenciled on the seat somewhere.