Crankshaft etching

Started by cardojr, February 01, 2009, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardojr

I've got a 6B motor that has some heavy etching on the crank at the seal area on the mag side.The etching goes up to and under the race The rest of the crank/rod bearing all look ok. I'm  concerned about getting a decent air seal on that side. I will be putting in new bearings etc, and hate to run the risk of failure.
 Here's the options that I see.
1) emery the living snot out of the crank
2) machine the same way (with equal enthusiasm)
3) emery or machine with moderation and build the sealing surface up with JB or the like.(repeat steps 1&2 as needed)
4) look for a donor crank or motor (I need some other stuff too- evidently she was rode hard & put away wet)
I would assume that with steps 1-3, I should bearing up the crank and assemble it into the case to check the pressure prior to committing to the full build- (is there a double lip seal I could use?)
 I'll also be looking for a few decent hard parts that shouldn't be bad but are. (layshaft gear at the clutch face & desplined shifter and kicker shafts)
Also any hints on pulling the races off the crank? I'd like to look at the bare crankset before I go too far.
All in all another Quixotic quest- Onwards Sancho Panza
thanks- rob

Kip Kern

Replace the pin on that side or have it machined and then welded and resurfaced to spec.  There was a NOS pin on Ebay from Genuine NOS I think. CIAO

Doug Wilford

The replacement Mag. side pin works for "A" cranks only.   "B"
cranks are cast with the slab.

john durrill

rob,
 Call Forest Stahl and see what he can do with the crank end. He may have a way to fix it right.
To remove the inner race part of the 2 main bearings you would need the special tool # 9 or a bearing separator. I dont recommend the separator as you can damage the crank ends and ruin the shims behind each inner race.

John D.

Kip Kern

My Bad, John is correct, Forest can fix em if need be, he does mine.  Got the "A" and "B" backwards:( CIAO

chicagojerry

there is a product named speedy-sleeve designed to remedy worn seals surfaces. i believe that chicago rawhide is the manufacturer and i think that borg warner makes their own version which is available at most napa's. the first one that i mentioned is available through most good bearing suppliers. i have used them a few  times on some of my race bikes and have yet to have a related failure. they are available in a number of sizes.   chi jer

cardojr

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll pack it off to Stahl's and have him eyeball it(if its evil, I may be the speedy sleeve tester for pog)- I need to have him take care of some husky biz as well.
thanks again- rob