First year for KTM in the U.S.?

Started by Tahitian_Red, December 16, 2008, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahitian_Red

What year were the KTM badged bikes sold in the U.S.?  I remember doing a search long ago and seeing a link to a letter about the deal to sell KTM on the West coast and Penton on the East coast, but I can't find it now.

The Factory Novice
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

brian kirby

Sorry Jay, we cant give out confidential Penton information to Honda riders. [}:)]

OK, to answer your question, I believe it was '75?

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Tahitian_Red

How did you know I was a Honda rider? :D

The Factory Novice
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

t20sl

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by Tahitian_Red

How did you know I was a Honda rider? :D

I know what Tahitian Red is. I've had more than one bike in that color :)

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Merlin

1977 were KTM's out west, 1978 nationwide after the contract (10 years?) with John Penton and KTM ran out.

Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Larry Perkins

Late in 75 there were KTM labeled bikes on the West Coast.  They may have been 76 models.  I can not remember when the split began.  Doug or someone at Lorain would remember.

Larry P

rob w

"Branded KTM" effective date in the western states, was July 1, 1975.
In the eastern states, they remained Pentons until Jan. 1, 1978.

rob w

Mr. Wilford departed from Penton Imports in 1974.

Larry Perkins

Good job as always, Rob.  Mr. Reference!:D  I kind of tagged it but with a screw driver picking my brain through the nose.  Never sure what will come out.  Useful info or boogers.:)

Larry P

tomale

I have heard this information before and I think it is accurate but what confusses me is the fact that I have seen bikes that appear to be in orginal trim as early as 74 without penton decals on the tank...Not sure what to make of this.... Did someone take the Penton name off the tank? but what about the seat cover, did some one replace that too?  
As far as I am concerned, even the KTM bikes being produced these days are truly Pentons incognito

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Merlin

Anywhere but the USA they were always badged KTM (the early ones you saw as KTM's may have slipped through via shipping snafu), no doubt John Penton taught the moped company how to build a world class race bike!

Quote:Merlin, "it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught".
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".