FRAUD ALERT: CraigsList Tulsa Oklahoma

Started by Ernie Phillips, January 26, 2009, 04:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Just to let you honest guys know there is a cheat selling vintage bikes out of Bartlesville, OK.

>> 197? Penton six day 125cc Collectors bike Serial # v5520 Enduro bike NO TITLE! Call Kelly-(918)766-6869<<  Tulsa Craigslist

Last week I made a verbal deal on this bike.  The seller (Kelly) was not set up to take paypal, so it was going to be a cash deal when the bike was picked up.  When my brother called Saturday morning to get directions, Kelly said someone offered him more money ... so he sold it to them.  Kelly, what about our deal?  Why not at least call me and tell me you were backing out?

In the two years that my friends and I have been involved with vintage bikes, this is the first time we have been snaked.  If you choose to do business with this joker, watch out!  And if v5520 shows up for sale again, you know a little of its history and the quality of the people involved.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

firstturn

Thanks Ernie,
  I actually had a different twist happen to me out of Fort Worth.  I made a verbal deal to buy a Penton and the guy went to several guys and told them I had offered $1800.00 for the bike.  He told the other person(s) and they offered him $2000.00.  That was bad for me, but the good news is I was checking on this guy and a Friend of mine told me to call a mutual Friend and let him know since he was going to sell him a bike.  I did....I bought a nicer bike for this guy that the guy that scamed me was going to buy...sweet.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Ernie,
Don't feel bad on this one because you weren't the only one getting jerked around. I called and talked to Kelly approx 45 minutes after his ad was posted. He complained that his phone had been ringing non stop since posting the ad. I asked him quite a few questions about the bike and was satisfied with the answers I was getting. I told him I'd come buy the bike with cash and could be there in about an hour or so to pick it up. He proceeds to give me the address and then told me he wouldn't hold it for me because there were already 3 guys from the Tulsa area enroute to buy it. He then goes on to say that one of them would probably beat me there but I was welcome to try and make it before them. I said no thanks and decided it wasn't worth trying to race up there to buy it that night. Just for giggles, I called him the very next morning and he told me the bike was still available. I said again I'd come pick it up and pay cash that afternoon to which he agrees. I gave Kelly a call enroute and he then tells me someone had just bought it about an hour before for the sum of $500. The guy is obviously a squirrel for sure. I have the address of "Kelly's Shop" in case you need it. Just email me off site and I'll be glad to give it to you. A good buyer beware lesson to be learned by anyone who reads this.
Dave McCullough

gooddirt

Looks like you have to be faster than the speed of the internet these days.

Ernie Phillips

Dave,  That's funny.  $500 was the deal we cut.  Payment in cash and pick-up was scheduled for Saturday.  When my brother called for directions, he told him someone else offered him $700 so he dumped us and made an extra $200.  But from your dealings with him, who knows, Kelly may still have the bike.  I don't need his address ... will never do business with this joker. With the exception of Kelly, everyone I've dealt with in the vintage market place has been top-notch!   Guys like Kelly are the exception.  He will not survive.  Businesses are built on trust.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

thrownchain

It happens all over. I've been talking with a guy that's trying to buy a "big bore" two stroke for a while now. Several deals that were agreed to over the phone fell through, for obvious reasons he's getting a little peeved over the whole idea.  But at latest word, he did find a bike he's happy with, although still looking for the bigger bore.  Wants a 400 Penton or Husky, but they're a little scarce up here.

gashat

I agree with thrownchain. Most of the people that I have delt with trying to run down parts for my bike Have been flakes. Including one this weekend that has a large collection of bikes for sale on the west coast. If interested email off site.   Gene