2 More Penton's live again

Started by rick deford, March 15, 2009, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick deford

Hi All,

Just put the finishing touches on my 68 Six-Day and 74 Berkshire. Actually the Berkshire was a 125 in it's prior life. Originally they were both built to race this year in the Pacific North West, but, the 68 is looking way too nice and a little fragile. The jury is still out on that bike. Maybe one time at a AHRMA national?

I want to thank ALL of you good folks at POG for all your help, parts, and information that was needed to bring these wonderful bikes back to life. I DO know, that without your input I could not completed these projects by myself.

Thanks again,

Rick

DKWRACER

Both are stablemates, and well deserving of each other! a proud moment, to be shared. A Penton, is worth the effort!
What you have, is the desire, cannot be replaced.

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

TGTech

Rick,

Those bikes look very, very good. I do have a couple of comments. You need the OEM shifter rubbers and the brake pedal on the Six Day needs to be bent down more. Thanks for all this work.

Dane

marsattacks

Awesome bikes, esp.the Six Days! It would be great to hear them so if you ever get aroudlnd to a Youtube clip that would be great. Inspired by our colleague pdserra (who has a couple nice youtube clips up) I'm in the process of making clips of mine. Regards, John

Click here to see Mars attack:
http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0208/images/marsattacks.jpg
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

dirtbike

Really nice bikes. Congratulations to such a fine result.
I agree on the youtube part. I have uploaded a few clips
myself from the first startup of both a KTM 250 1981 and
a maico 400 1978. A clip is very inspiring, to hear and
see the bike almost live.

Aren't the drive chains a bit overtightened?

cubfan1968

Great job!!!!

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

rick deford

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all kind words.

You guy's have an eye for details. Guess I've got a few more "finishing touches" to do. I think I have a line on a shifter rubber, loosened the chains a bit, need to adjust the brake pedal some.

I do have a question on fuel mix. Will the premix be the same on the Berkshire as it is on the Six-Day, 14oz Golden Spectro per 5 gal, about 45:1, premium pump gas? Or use a race/pump gas blend?

Rick

ALB

Rick,

Your bike are beautiful. Your did a fine job on your restorations.
Is that a new pipe on your Six-Days?

A word advice ... keep these bike apart when storing them. Pentons have a strange way of reproducing after a while. :)

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Kip Kern

Rick

Excellent work, sure is nice to see the old bikes new again!;)

Big Mac

Rick, Where in the PNW are you? If the rain Gods cooperate, VDR at Woodland, WA is a great place to break them in. No rocks to scratch them up and as long as it's not goopy mud, pretty easy to clean up and get the grunge out of the nooks and crannies.

Last races this season are 4/4 and 4/18, usually best weather races of the winter series. Bring 'em out and show what they'll do. Classic class and Vintage 100 are calling.

Big Mac
#123 '81 KTM 495
#74H '75 Mint 400
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

TGTech

Rick
Back in the day, we always used the 12oz. to 5 gallons of the "standard" gas, with lead in it. Today with no lead in the gas, I would suggest that you use at least the highest octane you can find at gas stations.
If you have high compression in the engine, then I would suggest using race gas with at least 105 octane. That will help keep the heat down.
Dane