Do you own this bike?

Started by Gavin Housh, April 20, 2009, 10:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

The bike in question is a Penton Harescrambler 1975 in MX trim with the small Red MX tank. Frame #54 50785364. The shocks are the old black bodied aluminum finned Works (before they became Works Performance) and the left side cover has been repaired from a fall that caused the shifter to break the side case. The bike also has Betor (Bultaco) triple clamps that shorten the wheelbase some. The fork sliders are the pre leading axle type 35mm Ceriani with the cast in stiffening rib on the front.  The bike would have been purchased from a gentleman named Len Sullivan in California. I was told by Len that the bike went out to the midwest? The reason I ask is that I owned the bike before Len sold it and the Department of Motor Vehicles still has the bike registered in my name. In the state of Califonia the DMV has become such a large part of the state budget they don't allow you to let a vehicle registration slip through the cracks and we are forced to send money regardless of weather we wish to just stop paying. I would like to try to file the proper forms with the DMV as to who and where this bike was sold. I suppose that using a fictitous idenity would work but experiance tells me that it would not be wise. If you know who own this bike please drop me a line so I can legally get out from under the thumb of my stste government. Thanks, Gavin Housh (510)481-0554 [email protected]

Ron

Gavin, I had the same problem a few years ago when I sold a bike and didn't submit, the new owners's info.
When the next renewal came I felt guilty and paid the full fee and included a letter expressing my regrets and explaining I was only paying to make the State whole, but that I had indeed sold the bike and had know idea of who the buyer was.
Seemed all was well until 2 years later when the fees were due again. Guess who got the renewal.
This time I went to the DMV in person and asked to speak to a supervisor.
I explained what I had already done and she had me fill out a "Statement of Facts" indicating I had sold the vehicle and the buyer was unknown. I think they charged me $10.00 for processing and fortunately that was the end of it.
You may try talking to a supervisor at the DMV.
Good Luck,
Ron
California DMV Sucks!!

Big Mac

Gives me the willies just recalling the bureaucratic crapola and BS hoops courtesy of the fine state of Calif...left 15 yrs ago for cycle-heaven Oregon and never looked back. No dirt bike titling or registration required, $12 each 2 yrs for an offroad sticker that they sell at gas stations and 7-11's, no VIN check. Want to title your bike? $50 and an inspection, even to get a street title for an old dirt bike, just throw on lights that don't get tested and a mirror.

Half the state is BLM land open for riding and everything from single-track woods, to beach sand dunes, to desert with 300+ mass start desert race events still running. Great clubs with tons of year-round events, lots of MX parks, even a track in a city park in downtown Portland running weekly races for 40 years straight. [^] Oh yea, no sales tax and cheaper gas than neighbor states--and all stations pump your gas 100% of the time...no joke.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Ed Chesnut

Jon:

shhh . . .

:D
Ed (Milton-Freewater, OR)

Keep the rubber side down!
Keep the rubber side down!

sixdazed

Jon-I'm on my way!
                           Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...