Shock and Awe..my Six Day's problem

Started by tooclose racing, May 07, 2009, 05:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

I had a great day of racing with my 72 Six Day at Berwick in central PA last weekend.  Only thing was that this was a pretty tough track - some small jumps (actually whoops for moderns..), choppy downhills, etc - in many ways it was a modern track, and definitely would never be mistaken for grass.  I'll admit - I like the challenge, if if I'm riding a travel-challenged vintage bike.

My Red Wing replacement shocks have done a good job with the grass tracks and trail rides up to this point, but I was really having a hard time of it at Berwick.  Of course - every other pre-75 bike on the starting line was either running Works Performance or Ohlins....but I can't afford those at this time.  

What I DO have is '76 250 MC-5 with 13.5" Marzocchis on it.  I'll be honest - THOSE were the shocks that I have set aside a WP shock replacement budget for later this summer.  I was planning on selling the Zokes as-is on eBay to offset the 500 buckaroos for the WPs.

So tell me if this idea is crazy POG Clan...would the Zokes work on the Six Day in an "upright" position or are the Springs going to be too stiff for this 165 lb rider? :).  Has anybody moved these shocks over to a GS or earlier CMF model and they worked okay?

Enquiring minds want to know!  Thanks for the feedback.

Signed,

Beaten To A Pulp Racing

brian kirby

With the correct spring rate they should work fine, you will need a softer spring for the upright position. The other consideration is the top mount bolt on the CMF is 10mm and the top mount on the MC5 is 8mm. I think they have spherical bearings (heim joints) or maybe some kind of rubber bushing like a swingarm bushing on the 'Zoke shocks so you would have to change the top one.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Dear Beaten to a Pulp,

Take it from me, the ultimate cheap-o ...  you cannot afford not to use good equipment.  After we added  PVL ignitions to our race bikes (if the bike won't run, don't matter what else you do), by far the best bang for the buck was the addition of Works shocks.  We are running them on everything from small Pentons  to large Maicos.  Our Penton's have 2 full seasons of racing on them with zero problems.  Talk to Sandy @ Works and he will set you up.    Lots and lots of people swear by the Ohlins and we have them on a couple of bikes but don't have enough time on them to give you a recommendation.   Cut out the caviar, do the brown bag lunch a couple of days a week ... get the good stuff.   Your butt and back will thank you.

Texas Tom F. runs piggyback 'zokes on his vintage Penton without protest.  I think the rule prohibits remote reservoirs (ie attached with hose) on the vintage bikes.  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tofriedel

Bob,

You can put bushings in the top mounts of the Zokes and they will work fine.  Use a steel bushing, not rubber.  I'm pretty sure I have some steel tubing that is 8mm OD and 6mm ID.  If you need a piece to make your bushings, let me know what length you need.

Tony
Tony

Mick Milakovic

I use Works on my PV Husky and Zokes on my vintage Penton.  Both work well.  The bad rap back in the day on the Zokes was that they faded fast in long motos and wore out quickly on the trail (at least the way the fast guys rode!).  I think your choice in shocks is largely dependant on your riding ability.  I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference between Ohlins and Works because I'm not that good!

Mick
Mick

Kip Kern

Check out Progressive Shocks at One Stop Moto.com, about $200 cheaper than most brands and great for the vintage bikes.;)

brian kirby

Progressives are not bad. If you get the 12 series gas shocks they work as well as Works Performance but they are not as durable and are not rebuildable. If you are not a hammerhead like me, or if you only race a couple of times a year you really cant go wrong with the Progressives.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

tomale

I don't have personal experience with the progessive shocks but I have several friends that have had trouble with blown seals. They seemed to work pretty well but if they do not last, then to me they are not a good deal.  save you bucks and get the works shocks. they will last. I have had a set on my PV maico and I have raced for 3 plus seasons with out a single problem.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

brian kirby

I blew two pairs in one weekend at Diamond Don's in '07, after that I got Works Performance. Still, if you do not ride that hard and just want some decent shocks the Progressives work. If you are going to race a lot better shocks are well worth the money.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian