swingarm bearing replacement

Started by dave, December 26, 2001, 11:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

In my recent searches I found a bearing that works in the swingarms of most pentons. It is a Torrington HK2012 and usually in stock at most bearing shops. These are shorter than the originals but you just use two instead of one and it works great.Thats two per side 4 total. They run right around $4.50 each which is cheap and when installed you end up with 4mm between them. I looked for a long time for the exact replacements and had no luck and then found these, hope this helps someone?

bigdanracer

Thanks for the info. I have been looking for some time now.
Thanks, Dan.

Posting 07/2002
Yucaipa CA.
Age 51, maintenance mechanic, two 77 Pentons, 250,400 MC-5s.

john durrill

DAVE'
Is this for the swing arms with needle bearing's?
A 75? and up?
Thanks,
John

Steve Minor

Good question John.....I was about to ask the same thing.....you think they'll work on my 1977 400 gs6?

Steve Minor

Heinz Raidel

Swingarm bearing note:

Folks if a bearing company has the shorties it should have the correct ones also.  I sourced the 3012s (I think) at Industrial technologies Inc in Columbus (OH) for 6.00 per.   -HR
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

Heinz Raidel

Forgot to say- if you're not sure what size bearing later models have, either look in the KTM parts book (they're listed usually as their bearing #) or in the worst case take your swingarm and pivot bolt in and ask the counter person to measure both for you  to get the correct bearing.

Same process works for seals also. And the alum swingarm bikes are easy to remove the bearings from if you use a little heat on the alum.  Can't say the same for the steel swingarms.
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

john durrill

Heinze,
can you get me a phone # for the bearing supply house you mention?
Thanks,
John & Peter

Paul Danik

I just wanted to mention that the stock needle bearings have a hardened side that is used as a thrust surface for the adjustment nut. These details are on page 16 of the
175-250-400 Penton manual with the Russian MXer on the cover. Even though the new needle bearing might fit, they may expire quickly if they cannot take the side loads. Maybe you guys already have that all handled??  Just trying to help. For getting the bushings out of the earlier swingarms I first drill out the rubber material between the inner and outer steel rings. A hacksaw cut through the section remaining in the swingarm relieves enough pressure that I can normally use a chisel and catch enough of the edge to drive it out. If it is still a pain a second cut opposite the first will let the thing almost fall out.