Marion CC 2009: King Kirby Klobbers Kompetition

Started by Ernie Phillips, June 22, 2009, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Marion CC 2009:  King Kirby Klobbers Kompetition

Brian Kirby was untouchable during Saturday and Sunday's Vintage CC at Marion.  Riding his '73 So. Cal. Berkshire, Brian lead every lap both days.  Who knew a 100cc bike could go so fast for so long.  As Brian passed me on Saturday, it was amazing to see him fling his bike around.  The back end just seemed to dance over the obstacles with the lightest of touch.

There were many Penton riders in attendance.  Hopefully they will each share their experiences.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

brian kirby

I had a good weekend, but I have had very mixed results at Marion in the past. In '07 I made an unforced error and crashed out of the lead after working for 4 laps gapping my competition by only 2-3 seconds a lap. Last year I DNF'd both days in the PV race and had a flat tire in one Vintage race. Conditions were about as good as they could be for my style and bike, hot, fast and slick. I tend to prefer faster courses, and the Berkshire is absolute magic in slick stuff.

Here is a short clip of helmet cam footage from Saturdays Vintage race.

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/7a9cdbb51d1fe1c7f5

I filmed more, but right where the clip stops a glob of mud covered my camera lens and all I got for the rest of the hour was sound. I am going to upload the entire hour of Sunday later as I got the whole thing.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Mick Milakovic

Congratulations Brian, glad you're in the Penton tent!

Mick
Mick

Jerry Chafton

The Marion CC was a challenge to say the least, especially for a 62 year old who hasn't done CC in 34 years. I was very impressed with the friendliness of everyone at the event. We met many people and wish I had time to meet everyone. Mick made it a point to introduce himself to me and I appriciate that, my camping neighbor (Wall) was a hoot. Lot's of fun. Jim from Baltimore was very helpful when asked about his knee braces. Spencer and I talked over some old times for awhile. My son in law (Greg Settles) and grandson (Austin) were also impressed with the event and the people who make it happen but was sorry to see that Corky broke his arm. I did manage to win the 60+ vintage class both days but it will take several weeks to get over the aches and pains.
All in all we were pleasantly suprised and hope to continue to run some more CC events.
Thanks for the good times,
Jerry 44K

brian kirby

Brian

brian kirby

Picture galleries from my Mom and my Brother in Law. Lots of Penton riders, but between them I think they got a picture of everyone at least once.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LillianSwamp/Marion09#

http://picasaweb.google.com/MacOnShore/Marion2009#

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Brian,  Thanks for the video and photos.  I managed to hold you off for a full 3 minutes!!!  It was interesting to see how much the 250s pulled your 100 out of the turns, yet you still passed everyone.  The video captures the sense of speed well but does not show the elevation changes nor how slick the second half of the course was.  Another observation is that your head never turns to the side nor bobbles.  You were very, very focused and the results speak for themselves.  Congratulations on a super fine ride.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

rob w

When the FIM adds a Vintage Class to the ISDE - Brian will probably make the Trophy Team.

tooclose racing

I don't EVEN have the time to look at the full video yet, but thanks all the photos and video.  You da man, Berkshire Breath!

You got my juices going now for the Broome National MX this weekend.

brian kirby

I appreciate the compliments guys, but really I was having one of those weekends where everything went right, I've had lots too where everything that could go wrong did.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian