GASOHOL ???

Started by garrettccovington, June 17, 2009, 01:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garrettccovington

I had some GASOHOL??? (Arco 91 oct, Southern California Gas) in my tank for a couple of weeks. The bike had been sitting empty for 32 years.  Did a search of the message board and back in 2002 this had been determined to be a big no-no.  I stuck my finger in the tank and the fiberglass seemed to be sticky and gummy.  I drained the gas and flushed it out with hot water and dishwashing soap.  The tank was in good condition.  Is this tank going to be a lost cause? The flushing seemed to help.
G  
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

chicagojerry

let the tank dry completely for a couple of days and it will probably be ok. i have had some tanks start to bubble the paint and they recovered after being drained and dried. caswell epoxy lined tanks are even susceptible to damage from the gas. have to drain these tanks or run non-alchohol gas.  
chi jer

454MRW

I have used CLEAR POR-15, or KBS Coating, (The same product), to coat the exterior of tanks prior to primer and paint and I gave Gary Ellis some with their specific thinner and MEK to wash the tank out with prior to coating. The results so far have been very good. The key on application is to thoroughly wash out the tank with laccquer thinner to remove the maximum traces of oil and to slightly soften the fiberglass, but no so much as to ruin the tank, then finish it with a wash of MEK to remove any remaining impurities and dry any moisture before applying the POR-15 or KBS clear thinned enough to coat the tank 2-3 times at 15 minute or so intervals.
If the tank is properly prepped (eliminating the maximum of oil traces in the fiberglass) no type of fuel will damage the tank. POR-15 and KBS coating is impervious to all chemicals once hardened. I plan on taking a junk tank and performing the coating proceedure then filling it parially with gasahol and letting it set for months and then cutting it apart to see how well it is still adhered. This will not work on plastic tanks. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

garrettccovington

I came home from work tonight and after a day of baking in the desert sun the fiberglass seems to be hardening and it is no where near as gumming inside.  Thanks for everyones input.

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250