74/75 ISDT films

Started by Gavin Housh, September 15, 2009, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

I just got my news letter and with it came a DVD that doesn't make it past the first 3 minutes before it freezes. Does anybody else have this problem? Who do we send them back to to get a copy that will play? It looks like a really good video, I just can't watch the bulk of it. Thanks, gavin.

thrownchain

I watched mine on my computer and had to cue it in to a spot on the disc, wouldn't play from the start. Once you get it to play, it pretty neat stuff.

Paul Danik

That isn't good news.  Anyone else with any problems?  

Paul

Gavin Housh

I'm Going to try playing it on another machine. My fisrt try was on the computer also. Gavin

marsattacks

On a Mac I had to forward it a little through the vertical spectrum lines but then it went. Great videos!

Mars Attacks!

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

tooclose racing

Same as the others...it's not freezing...I just had to fast forward for about one minute into the recording and it worked fine.  I used WMV on our PC.

I gotta get a few more of these.  I love the 70's soundtrack and the story - my wife thought I was nuts as I watched this on the computer with the music/narration turned up, pointing at guys and saying thinks like "Carl Cranke!  OMG!"  

Interesting contrast in terms of the two events, big bores having the advantage in Italy and then the West Germans - on 100 and 125 Zundapps - take the Trophy at the Isle of Man.  Granted the Czechs had some bad luck at the Isle, but still - small bores ruled! The narrator also suggests that the Zundapps were "factory" bikes, versus the production Penton/KTMs. And FINALLY..our marque - coutesy of an Italian - takes its very first Overall at a Six Day event, right? Fascinating, but I must admit I'm an impressionable lad. ;)

And there is a whopper of a tragedy - at least w/r to the 1975 ISDT. The death of the American rider (in a traffic accident) must have just stunned everyone, much less the Americans.  Did anybody here at POG know this rider well?

Thank you, Paul Danik.  Thank you very much.

Gavin Housh

OK I just finished watching it on the main system we have in the living room. Normaly my wife has contol of this equipment but I was able to get through it before she got home. Loved it. The US team rocked!

paul a. busick

I viewed the DVD on our DVD player and large screen and had no problems. Really neat watching all those younge men blasting about. There is nothing like an old time movie to warm you up inside and make you smile. :)

The DVD is just one of the many benefits that comes with being a POG member. Al B gets a big hand and thanks for all his duplication work.

See you down Old Dusty,
P.A. Busick

ALB

I'm happy to hear that everyone is enjoying watching the DVD.
There is a delay of about 3 minutes on these (3 minutes of blank screen) that will drive you crazy - before the 1st video starts. So, you will need to fast forward through the beginning to the start.

I have a copy of this before we (the POG) had it touched up. The quality was poor, very grainy, and hard to tell who and what was being shown. The re-mastered copies are very clear and sharp - well worth the money it cost to have it re-worked. Over 400 copies of this were made up and sent to all of our POG members. It's a wonderful way of the POG to say "thank you for being a member of this great organization".

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Kip Kern

I had the same minor delay but really enjoyed the videos.  made my bikes watch them too!;) Thanks so much POG:D

BrianTaylor

Canadian team member was American Bren Moran who crashed on an abandon railway line... When the news came a CDN was killed many on our team thought it was me because I had some problems and was running late ......BT .... ISDT75 Canada

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

tooclose racing

Brian - thanks for that story.  So..- did anybody here know Mr. Moran?  I'm also curious about Americans riding for the Canadian ISDT teams.  How often has that happened?

And another question....these 70's and 80's ISDTs are full of stories about how much HELP a team might get out on the course.  How did the West Germans pull this 75 win off, at the Isle of Man, and on Zundapps!?!

(I'm just trying to get a rise out of the Zundapp crowd)

BTW, there is a GREAT Rickman Zundapp at Vintage MX...yea, I know, this what the Brits rode in the early seventies to absolutely NO success ;)

http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/largephoto.cgi?C=bNPM1PK7vpqwFRQE

BrianTaylor

If you go to http://isdt.org they will give an account of how many Americans rode under the Canadian Flag at the ISDT in the seventies... I believe each country was alloted so many positions and Canada could not fill their allotment  so Americans rode under a Canadian Licence.... At that time in Canada it was not a popular idea for those CDNs who wanted to go .  One short story from 75..... I was riding a Rokon  and ran out of gas about 15 miles from the scheduled gas stop .... the roads were very narrow and on each side was 6-8 ft tall stone fences..... as the  Rokon was making its last gasp of fuel I jumped off and started to push...... well a Rokon you dont push... as I was now gasping for breath..... I could here from behind the wall someone yell "Hey Canadian "  A guy stuck his head out of an opening down a bit  and told me to push my bike in it ... well I did  and surprisingly they was a group of the British Team Support with cans of fuel awaiting their team members .... I gased up , thkd them and I was on my way ..... yes a little cheating goes on [}:)]..... Brian

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

hotgrips

To Brian Taylor.  I read your nice 6 page story online today about the Canadian view of the ISDt effort at the 1973 Six-Days in the USA.  It was very well written.  I know that you rode a Rokon in the 1975 ISDT -Isle of Man and read that you retired on Day 3.  Did your bike suffer the same power loss as the other Rokons with carbon clogging the spark screens in the muffler?  i never read why you retired/

On Bren Moran, the American riding under a Canadian license in 1975.  He also rode as a Canadian in the 1972 ISDT in Czechoslovakia.  Bill Petro has ten wonderful pages of photos online from the 1972 Czechoslovakia Six-Days and there are 3 photos of Bren (Rider #61).  I can find my way there by searching on Google for Bill Petro Toronto Motorcycle Race Photographer.  When you click on his site I believe you go to Gallery or Portfolio, and click on Motorcycle.  Then scroll down to the events Bill was at in 1972.   Most of the photos are of Canada's riders but I believe I saw Jack Penton in there riding w/o helmet.  Thought I noticed New England rider Ron Webster (Ossa 240) with a green and white helmet too.  I rode as a "Canadian" along with at least these 3 US riders:  George Peck (MA), Ed Ortone (NY), Dave Mungenast (MO).

James Hollander
James Hollander

hotgrips

Here's the link to Bill Petro's ten pages of photos he took at the ISDT 1972 in Czechoslovakia: http://www.billpetro.tv/Motorcycle%20racing/motorcycle_racing/1972/1972_ISDT_page01.htm        Or if you get to Bill Petro's website, click on Racing,Motorcycles, scroll down to 1972.  He also has a section on the 1973 ISDT in the USA.

I believe I incorrectly stated Dave Mungenast rode as a "Canadian" in 1972.  I read today it was in 1974 in Italy as Rokon 340 rider on the Canadian Trophy Team.   :)

James Hollander
James Hollander