Bettencourt Collection Auction in MASS.

Started by tooclose racing, October 08, 2009, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

I grabbed this from the vintageMX.US site.  Some neat bikes - nothing really exotic, just cool stuff:

"Good Day all. Thanks again to mark for making this all possible. This announcement is to inform everyone here that back in MASS. in November, there will be an auction of the Bettencourt collection. Dave Bettencourt is fighting Leukemia and will undergo a bone marrow transplant soon. The collection contains 180 bikes of every description. CZ's, Bultaco's and Brit bikes too. Bettencourt's Honda dealership sponsored many fast folks back in the day in the N.E. Dave is a great guy and the auction of the bikes will help with his medical costs. I believe Jerry Wood is conducting the auction and it will be staffed with volunteers to help. Thanks again to all who read this and check it out. Dave's a super stand up fellow and it's a privilege to post this in hopes of helping him. Click here to see the collection."

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2009/bettencourt_collection/Bettencourt.htm

Stephen Gautreau
Mesa, AZ

brian kirby

I remember Bettencourt sponsored JoJo Keller in the mid '80s in the 500 Nationals. I think he finished in the top 5 as a privateer.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Rain Man

I cant remeber how many times Dave passed me on his Bultaco FT in the Vintage class.  He has been an aspiration to all the flat track guys up here in the North East.. for a long long time.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

firstturn

The other Brother John was a neat person and a Great Road Racer even though he gave up a lot of weight to ride.  I always enjoyed visiting with him and his Bigger than life stories.  The Bettencourt Family is an important part of American Racing.  Her is just a little info on how good John was....unfortunitely he passed away in a winter car accident.

Superbike Archive 1979
by dean adams
Saturday, February 14, 2004
Only four AMA Superbike races in 1979 but plenty of action; Freddie Spencer wins his first Superbike races (on a Kawasaki) and Suzuki's Wes Cooley wins the championship.

Date: March 09, 1979
Venue: Daytona International Speedway

Race Report: Ron Pierce won the Daytona Superbike race in 1979, leading a Yoshimura Suzuki 1-2-3 when Wes Cooley and David Emde finished on the podium behind him. This was the first time the series saw the like of a teenage sensation from the WERA club racing ranks, Louisiana native Freddie (Frederick Burdette) Spencer Junior. Freddie showed up at Daytona in 1979 riding a Howard Racing Ducati (tuned by Reno Leoni). John Long finished fourth on a BMW and Harry Klinzmann fifth on a Kawasaki.

Editor's Note: 1979, like 1978 before it, really showed the power of the Japanese four cylinder machines. Prior, Ducati, Guzzi and BMW machines were extremely competitive if not dominant. Now they were having problems just getting into the top five at times. Spencer ran with the leaders but pitted just before the halfway mark (pit stop ET: 30 seconds) and the bike died. He did not finish. Pridmore's Kawasaki threw a chain and he was out, McLaughlin's Racecrafter's Kawasaki blew a tire in the chicane after blowing several engines in practice and was out.

Joe Weinroth, then the GM for Yoshimura states: "Tonight we're all going to the Hawaiian Inn and get real loose."

Pops Yoshimura is asked on Roxy Rockwood's radio show which of his three riders is the fastest, he answers: "No comment."

Results:

1. Ron Pierce, Yoshimura Suzuki

2. Wes Cooley, Yoshimura Suzuki

3. David Emde, Yoshimura Suzuki

4. John Long, BMW

5. Harry Klinzmann, Kawasaki

6. John Bettencourt, Suzuki

7. Kerry Bryant, Kawasaki

8. Jon Minonno, BMW

9. ?

10. ?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

In the 5th photo there's a KR framed dirt tracker (#35). Can't see the engine area, and most likely a TT500, but...never know, could be a KRP.

thrownchain

Pretty decent looking Yankee there too.

rcrump1

I hate to hear this about Dave. I sold a very nice CZ 360 side pipe to him 7 or 8 years ago and he couldn't have been a nicer guy. Said he was going to display it in his dealership. Even sent me a Bettencourt's jersey (which I still have) and a few NOS Penton parts he had found in his shop. I hope the auction is a huge success.

Richard

pdness

live in mass found out on this site about bettencourt. bought several bikes and lots of parts there in early 70s.restoring harescrambler 250 and riding honda 4wheelers now at 50yrs. moved about 60 miles from bettencourt will be at auction.always wore bettencourt racing team tshirts back when i was 11-14 yrs old my dad was good friend of Dick bettencourt once traded him a 69 minitrail for a gemini sst new in crate almost same as minitrail but 5 speed and almost 5hp. GET WELL SOON BETTENCOURT PRAYER WILL BE SAID
73 hare scrambler 250

Kip Kern

Nice Original Jackpiner in that auction as well as CZ's and Bul's.  May try to go, who knows what will pop up!

pdness

bettencourt auction anyone going? i will be there like to meet any penton owners early posts i wrote grew up there spent lots of money there in 70)s
73 hare scrambler 250

pdness

went to bettencourt auction pics on web looked great real life bikes all rusted been in overseas storage boxes for years. penton all there but very rusted. over 1000 people showed up crazy no room could not handle left as auction began probably got crazy money bultaco and couple cz did look like best of show

73 hare scrambler 250
73 hare scrambler 250

Kip Kern

Wow, 980 bidders![:0]  Glad I didn't make the trip, I'll bet it was a long day.  Can't wait to read the outcome on J. Woods auction site.  Economy looks pretty good in the vintage motorcycle market.  I think there were around 600+ or so at the auction in June (TN. state).:)

KJDonovan

The link below is to the results of the auction;

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2009/bettencourt_collection/bettencourt_sold_11212009.pdf

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Gordon Brennan

Hey Folks, The nedb boys want to know if you think this guy made a good deal. He paid $1000.00 at the auction.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1482215747.html