Nov, "MOTORCYCLIST" & back shocks

Started by garrettccovington, October 12, 2009, 09:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Bridges

Charlies Place is I beleive, what we used to call Wagon Wheel. I use to start out of my driveway and ride WFO to the Wagon Wheel in about 20 minutes. I did this ride on a 71 SL100, Harley Davidson Baja 100, Puch 125, 74 Elsinore 125, 73 CZ 250 side piper, 76 Ossa Phantom 250, and am probably leaving somthing out, but always had fun. I remember the Brooks brothers. Cordis with the stocking cap in the trail bike (100cc) class on a DKW and Tom with his amazing overall victorys on a 125 DKW. I always wanted a Penton, but never had one until recently. It is lots of fun. Kennedy meadows and Lake Isabella. That is where I used to fish. That is my other hobby. If any one wants a copy of the original Curnutt set up literature I can make copys of the one I have. Later,

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Dwight Rudder

I would love to have a copy.
Thanks,
Dwight

Doug Bridges

Dwight
Just email your address to me and I will be glad to send it off to you. There is also directions from Curnutt on how to rebuild the shocks included with this. There is nothing fancy about this literature, but this is what came with the shocks. It is just type written and has some good info. Warrenty and address, prices, set up, performance tips, preventive maintnance and rebuilding Curnutt shocks.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

socalmx

Actually I do know. Tom Brooks quit racing a long time ago and now does a lot of saltwater fishing. He has no desire to ride a bike any longer. Cordis on the other hand has had an interesting life. He murdered his wife about 15 years ago and dumped the body somewhere in the desert. There was not enough evidence to convict him at that time so he did not get charged. Years later when he sold his house, the police came in after he had moved and removed the carpets, etc. and found evidence. It was enough to convict him of a manslaughter (I think) charge and he spent around 7 years in jail. He has been out for a couple of years and races in the Magnum (50+) class in the desert on a Yamaha 125. His son Cordis Jr. also races and is becoming a pretty good rider. My younger brother who is into DKWs had been in contact with Tom Brooks Sr. about the bikes. When they cleaned out the shed, they gave him Tom Sr's DKW which Tommy had raced and won on in a race or two. Overall the bike was pretty bad off but my brother salvaged some parts and built a DKW set up like they use to ride with the 19 inch front wheel, etc. He took it to a D37 race (we both still race) and Cordis saw it and got to ride it.
Quotequote:Originally posted by garrettccovington

SoCalMX

You mentioned you rode a DKW 100.  I always wondered what happened to Tom and Cordis Brooks.  I think Cordis rode a Harley Baja 100 and Tom Rode a DKW 125.  In the early 70's those guys were winning District 37 races over all and I beleive they almost won Barstow to Vegas overall, but Rich Thornswalden (?) niped them at the finish line on a suzook 400.

G

72 six-day

Lloyd Boland

Boy, this brings back memories.  Charlies Place is my favorite desert place to ride.  Did anyone ride there when the actual "Charlies Place" was still there? I once saw a picture of it, a little hamberger place out in the middle of the desert with a bunch of dirt bike, circa 1975-6.  The only thing left are the old concrete pads. It is now called "Wagon Wheel" off of Trona Road.  

I think it was 1973, I had Curnutt shocks, and Charlie himself came out to a race at Indian Dunes and help set up and tune up the shocks.  For some reason they were binding on my CZ.  I can't remember what we finally did, but once we got them working right, they were very good. Of course it helps to have the designer actually come work on your bike.

Doug Bridges

Yes I went to that little spot quite often. It was part of a days ride to stop in and get a soda and a snack there. I spent many hours rideing in that area and in between there and Ridgecrest. Also raced plenty of D37 races that started in the valley south of Wagon Wheel/ Charlies place. It was quite common for those races to draw between 500 and 1000 riders in the early 70's. I wonder how many show up to these races these days. I havn't been in that area in over 20 years.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Lloyd Boland

Doug,I saw one on my patient's this afternoon that belongs to a desert club, and they are puttin on an endura this weekend that actually starts at Charlie's Place.  He indicated that they anticipate about 400 riders.

I rode in a Shamrock Hair'n Hound event out there about 3-4 years ago.  It started at Tiegle Wash(sp) (a couple of miles south of Charlie's place).  There had to be 400-600 riders.  One 45 mile loop for the old guys, a 45 mile loop and a 55 mile loop for the kids and fast guys.  (One loop is enough, but it was fun.  More than that wouldn't be fun.)

VICTOR MONZ

Gentlemen:

I was just in Weldon, CA on Friday and met a great guy who does the best restorations I have seen in a while.

He had the neatest place. I could see Lake Isabella from his shop, cattle grazing in the distance with a background view of the Sierras...God's Country :)

One of the nicest guys and the coolest place to retire and ride, ride, ride.

Oh, and I got to save another Six Day to bring back to life.[:p]

Victor

tomale

all the talk of riding in the hills of california and the fact that it raining like crazy outside is making just abit home sick. I talk to my younger brother yesterday about doing some riding at holister if we come down for christmas....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tvrc18

I wish I could find a set of Curnutts about 13.5 inch. Everytime I see them on Ebay I get sniped.
Terry

socalmx

All the 70's races out there that I can remember all started down by the railroad tracks. I don't remember Charlie's place from back then but do go out to Wagon Wheel area to race/ride once in a while. District 37 does hold races out there from time to time. There is an enduro set for this weekend and usually 3 or 4 regular races scheduled there during the year. I still race and use the one-loop option. Even with a nice WR250F with an autoclutch, electric start, and sweet Factory Connection suspension, a single loop is enough for my old body.
Quotequote:Originally posted by Doug Bridges

Yes I went to that little spot quite often. It was part of a days ride to stop in and get a soda and a snack there. I spent many hours rideing in that area and in between there and Ridgecrest. Also raced plenty of D37 races that started in the valley south of Wagon Wheel/ Charlies place. It was quite common for those races to draw between 500 and 1000 riders in the early 70's. I wonder how many show up to these races these days. I havn't been in that area in over 20 years.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner

garrettccovington

Wow!!! that was interesting about the Brooks Brothers.  I wish they still had the MX Chronicles on TV.  

G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

socalmx

There was a lot of controversy in District 37 about him starting to come around after he got out of jail. A lot of people wanted him shunned because he was a convicted murderer. Eventually it all died down and he is not getting harassed. I've talked with him a couple of times and sure don't want to be his friend thats for sure. I do know that if I have a carb problem, I will go to him. He just has to be the best "throttle and choke" person around (LOL).
Quotequote:Originally posted by garrettccovington

Wow!!! that was interesting about the Brooks Brothers.  I wish they still had the MX Chronicles on TV.  

G

72 six-day