Bing Float removal

Started by Doug Bridges, December 28, 2009, 02:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Bridges

Anyone got any tricks on how to remove the pin/axle that holds the floats on to the body of a bing carb without brakeing off one of the ears?

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner/FrankenPenton project
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Steve Minor

It should just be a pin that just slips out of the ears..... Use a very small wire nail as a punch and tap it out. One side of the pin should be kerfed so it becomes a friction joint.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

tomale

I have never had a problem removing the pin. I use a nail set and I just push it out. It should just come out real easy... why the nail set? because it easy to hang on to...but almost anything that will fit is a little smaller than the pin.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

sixdazed

Doug,If you have one that's frozen/seized real bad you may want to brace the tangs the pin fits into-i've used a set of expanding pliers(an old suzuki special tool for splitting cases on 4 cyl. streetbikes)with flat smooth edges and a stud/nut on the handles you turn to expand the jaws,opened up to go between the tang tightly.That way if you have to smack it you don't break the tangs and buy a carb.A little heat and/or pentrating oil would be my first step though,and i use an automatic center punch that fits those pins nice,and if that doesn't budge the pin i install those pliers before the hammer comes out.I'm sure a nail is just fine too,just giving you some options on what works for me on stubborn ones.Good Luck,
               Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

joe novak

Obviously you have a situation in which the float pin is stuck.  Not all carbs have stock float pins.   Some may be knurled or splined.  Regardless of what should be, you need to remove it without damaging the carb (which can be costly).  There are several ways of removing the pin.   IF there is a knurl or little splines on the pin, it is most likely on only one end or the other, but usually not both.   Try to look carefully and determine which end might have the knurl.  Usually the pin is pushed through this end, rather than pushing the knurl through one hole, then the other.   I would try to use small needle nose VISE GRIPS to grab any part of the pin and rotate back and forth gently to loosen it up.  I am looking at a BING 84, and the pin is easily accessible between the pin posts.   You might also consider removing the float completely by gently opening the part that wraps around the pin (the hinge).  The pin will be entirely exposed for more grip if necessary.   Consider cutting the pin close to the pin posts.  Then use something to support the pin post while you drive the remaining pin out.   Even if you have to make a small metal jig to clamp in a vise, with a hole to tap the pin through, your time will be spent wisely.   Unless the metal is oxidized badly, I think you can successfully remove it.  I would not like to see you have to get the TIG welder out.  It's not luck; it's patience.

garrettccovington

Just in case you break off a float pin leg. Bing charges $36.00 to repair them.2009 price.  At least that is what my manual says.  I just picked up the manual for $10.95.  Great piece of litature.  It covers most bing carbs.
G

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

Charles Gresham

Just be gentle! Maybe a little heat from a propane torch, you can try pushing on the pin once legs are heated, and it will be pushed out enough on the other side to grab it with pliers... thats how I recently extracted a troublesome pin from a Bing...
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180

David Laite

Are the pins serrated or larger on one end, a la Mikuni's?

1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

hrbay

All the above and try grabbing the pin between the float hangers with a slice of sandpaper and a small plier over the paper. Hold the plier tight and tap lightly in the direction away from the knurled side? Good luck.

GC
GC

Rain Man

more kroil for a few more days...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

joe novak

If this is a really sticking pin, you can cut it on both sides of the posts, grind it down to the aluminum, then try to knock it out gently.  You could also center punch and drill it which will make removal less stressful for the aluminum.  Let us know how the process is coming.