New Guy, 77 GS6 175

Started by Hank McCurdy, January 04, 2010, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank McCurdy

Rocket:
Thanks for the offer. I'm going to give the epoxy repair a try. If that fails, I'll be in touch. By the way, the email did not show up. Thanks again, Hank

Hank McCurdy

Update one year later: This '77 GS6 175 gave new meaning to the old adage 'ridden hard an put away wet', but it has been successfully resurrected! Finally got her back together and out sometime in September, for Snoop's NY ride (parked next to James).
Still need to do some sorting out but I really love the way it rides. It's just a great bike. Also, the Metzeler Unicross knobbies work great. Thanks to Al B. and others for help and advice. All the best, Hank

Doug Bridges

Hi Hank
I really like your bike. I was very close to putting in a serious absentee bid on this bike when it was at auction, but with the cost of shipping to west coast I backed out. I talked to the people running the auction and they told me the bike had been set up and sent from the factory for a European rider who was supposed to ride it in a six day qualifier and he never showed up, so it was sold to an American who rode and competed on it very hard for a while and then parked it for along time before it was auctioned. This is a very worthwhile and unique project. welcome to the POG
Good Luck

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

Richard

So what did you do to fix the crankcase corrosion? Did you just clean it and run it or fill the pits with epoxy? New cases?

Hank McCurdy

Richard: I got some advice on the procedure from Chicago Jerry and went from there. He uses Marine-tex, but I used JB-weld since it is easier to come by here and is similarly rated - something like 4000 psi, and can handle heat too. The epoxy seals the crankcase area and prevents stress concentrations at the sharp-edged pits. The rot went pretty deep, but the crank and bearing carrying structures weren't really effected. The areas were thoroughly blasted clean (with silicone carbide), and washed with acetone. To make applying the JB easier, I made a guide plate which was bolted on the case half. This helped form perfectly flat mating surfaces on the cases. Several coats of JB were applied with a plastic putty knife and then smoothed down with a Dremel and finished off with Duplicolor ceramic engine paint. It took some time but I believe this repair will last forever. If you or anyone is undertaking this type of repair and has any questions about what I did, please let me know. Regards, Hank

400gs6

Nice '77  I love the way the '77 models handled.  I used to have a '77 400GS along the the '76 400 that I still own.  It was amazing the difference between the two.  My '76 handled like a tank compared to the '77 !  

Nice work and I like the fact that you didn'y over-restore it.  The bike has character!

-I'd like to attend one of the vintage rides this year.

Kurt
KURT FLACHBART

Richard

Wow, that does look like a good repair! Thanks for posting the pictures, they really show that engine cases that appear scrap can be salvaged. Great job!

skiracer

Hi Hank,  We met last year at the vintage ride in Monroe, NY.  I had the 76 250 MC5, and the Suzuki 175 PE.  The bike looks great!  There is a vintage ride just outside of Albany, NY on May 7th.  I hope to see you there!  Happy trails,  James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Hank McCurdy

Doug: Thanks, that's interesting info, I wonder who these guys were/are. Maybe I'll look into it. The only feature on this bike that may be unusual (and suggest some special treatment)is the rear brake which is grooved radially, or longitudinally, not parallel to the axle like some shoes. Both the drum and the shoes are grooved and the it really works - feels like a disk. Anyone seen this before?
Kurt: Thanks for the compliment. My original plan was to leave the bike cosmetically alone and just do the mechanicals, but it's sometimes tougher to leave stuff alone than to redo it, if you know what I mean. I agree, this bike really does handle well. It doesn't do anything wrong - no head-shake, carves corners, changes direction well in the woods - at least at the speed I ride. The chassis seems to over-match the engine, so I'd like to try a 250 or 400, although a 175 suits me well and keeps me out of trouble. I give the Unicross tires credit too. Are you in the northeast? James says there's a ride in NY in May.
Richard: Thanks. Based on what more experienced guys have told me I don't have to worry about the repair. You'd have to take it apart and look closely to see it. I prefer to use the original parts if at all possible, so having repaired cases doesn't bother me.
James: Yeah, I remember we were right next to each other and there were too few Pentons. Keep me posted on that Monroe ride in May. Word has it that Alex may make his ride a two day deal this year. We'll see. We got there on Friday last year. I impressed my brother and friend (on Maicos), when I took the Penton out on the 7 mile woods loop alone fairly late in the day. I had just gotten it back together and hadn't really ridden it before, but she didn't skip a beat and nothing fell off! They said I was over confident (or stupid?). :D
Best regards to all, Hank

Doug Bridges

Hank
Get a hold of the guy that runs the Copake auction. He is a really nice guy and as I recall, he knew the guy that put this up for auction personally and if that's the case he may be able to put you in contact with him.

Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R
Doug Bridges
73 Jackpiner
74 Rickman Zundapp
78 Suzuki PE175
82 XR200R

marsattacks

Hank your bike looks great.  Very cool work on the cases.  I see you could not resist the C. Cranke brake stay!  Also the P Petty skid and fender are nicely retained.

Anyway, I'm in Pa too and have been through the drill a few times on getting antique plates for Pentons and other old bikes.  It is very easy if you have a title.  A bit more complicated if you do not have a title.  But still it is not at all a lost cause.  I have plates on my Jackpiner, a Hare Scrambler, a Bultaco Frontera, and Hercules 7-speeder coming soon.

To avoid headaches with Penndot and the tag service, however, you must very carefully follow the instructions.  Let me know if you choose to embark on this venture and I will help if needed and able.  Regards, John
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

t20sl

Hank:  I really liked the idea of the guide plate.  Many, many years ago before POG I did a set of cases and had a nuclear certified welder weld up all the damage and I then re-machined cases.  Then lapped cases to be sure they had not distorted.  Very expensive but absolutely permanent.  If you ever have top end off in near future let us know how the paint holds up to constant fuel exposure.  
Ted

Hank McCurdy

Doug, Thanks for the tip, I'll do that and report back. Sounds like it might be an interesting history. I'd say this bike got thrashed pretty well at some point.
John, The front fender set me back 5- at Mid-OH. I'm familiar with getting a title through Int'l in Vegas. Did it for a Triumph not too long ago. Cost like 125-. Is that what you do? I'd be tempted to do antique tags which avoids the yearly reg fee because it's permanent, and also there's no inspection required. Insurance is cheap too.
Ted, I have to do the topend so I'll get a look at the paint. The thought had crossed my mind because the Dupli supposedly being ceramic in some way - I would not want it to come loose. It seems to be durable. The insides of the cases were originally painted if I'm not mistaken.
A good friend of mine is one of the owners of Powerseal USA. They plate cylinders with nickel silicon carbide. Anyone have any thoughts on that for a vintage engine? I guess it couldn't hurt. Hank

skiracer

Quotequote:Originally posted by 400gs6

Nice '77  I love the way the '77 models handled.  I used to have a '77 400GS along the the '76 400 that I still own.  It was amazing the difference between the two.  My '76 handled like a tank compared to the '77 !  

Nice work and I like the fact that you didn'y over-restore it.  The bike has character!

-I'd like to attend one of the vintage rides this year.

Kurt

Kurt, Hank, and anyone else that is interested,  Here is the info for the vintage ride in NY this coming May 7th.

The next All Brands Vintage Ride is now set for Sat. May 7th 2011. There will be
a FREE
BBQ hosted by Me (Larry) same as last year. This will be a GREAT GREAT day .
The ride will be hosted at the Farm of Dave Flach. So mark your calendars , tell
your friends, everyone is invited NO CRY BABIES its all about a good day of
vintage riding.
As the date gets near we will ask someone to set up a small Trial ride anyone
wanted to volunteer contact me off site.
So don't forget Dave and Larry's ALL BRANDS RIDE SAT. MAY 7th 2011 mark the
date!!!!!!! Coeymans Hollow New York 15 minutes from Albany.
15 miles Loop . Any questions email [email protected].
Larry
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Quotequote:Originally posted by Hank McCurdy

Doug: Thanks, that's interesting info, I wonder who these guys were/are. Maybe I'll look into it. The only feature on this bike that may be unusual (and suggest some special treatment)is the rear brake which is grooved radially, or longitudinally, not parallel to the axle like some shoes. Both the drum and the shoes are grooved and the it really works - feels like a disk. Anyone seen this before?
Kurt: Thanks for the compliment. My original plan was to leave the bike cosmetically alone and just do the mechanicals, but it's sometimes tougher to leave stuff alone than to redo it, if you know what I mean. I agree, this bike really does handle well. It doesn't do anything wrong - no head-shake, carves corners, changes direction well in the woods - at least at the speed I ride. The chassis seems to over-match the engine, so I'd like to try a 250 or 400, although a 175 suits me well and keeps me out of trouble. I give the Unicross tires credit too. Are you in the northeast? James says there's a ride in NY in May.
Richard: Thanks. Based on what more experienced guys have told me I don't have to worry about the repair. You'd have to take it apart and look closely to see it. I prefer to use the original parts if at all possible, so having repaired cases doesn't bother me.
James: Yeah, I remember we were right next to each other and there were too few Pentons. Keep me posted on that Monroe ride in May. Word has it that Alex may make his ride a two day deal this year. We'll see. We got there on Friday last year. I impressed my brother and friend (on Maicos), when I took the Penton out on the 7 mile woods loop alone fairly late in the day. I had just gotten it back together and hadn't really ridden it before, but she didn't skip a beat and nothing fell off! They said I was over confident (or stupid?). :D
Best regards to all, Hank

Hank, You can ride my 250 this year at one of the rides.  James
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa