New Penton owner...I think

Started by Bryce Sills, February 13, 2010, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce Sills

Hello all,
I've just gotten my hands on a '69 Sachs 125 that my Grandfather bought new.  He died in '71 and my Uncle took it to southern California.  Long story short, I was on business down there and now the bike lives in my garage in the Seattle area.  

I'm not sure if it's a Penton or not, is there an easy way to tell? It's a '69 model 125 with a chrome/red tank.  I got the bug last night and got it started for the fist time in 25 years...7 kicks!:D

t20sl

Bryce:  Penton did not make a chrome and red bike.  Sachs did and also DKW.  Both used Sachs engines.  You probably have a Sachs.  what does the tank say?  Does the front end look funny, like a swingarm with conventional shock assorbers?  If so then Sachs or DKW

thrownchain

If it's Red/ Chrome it's probably 125 Enduro. Should have a sticker behind the gas cap. Sachs motor, and Sachs on the tank. Leading link front end. I can send you pics of mine if you'd like to compare.

marsattacks

Tangential comment but wasn't there a special Penton made for Mr. Wilford that had a red and chrome tank? I know one of these was made by one of our Italian friends.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

joe novak

Congratulations Bryce!  You have brought to life an old motorcycle which has been in your family forever.   I'm glad that it ended up in the hands of someone who will appreciate it.   It sounds like a treasure which you found.  Welcome to the POG site (Penton Owners Group), too.  The Sachs engine came in several closely related brands of motorcycles.  It is a very reliable engine.   Be sure to check the transmission fluid level.   The POG site is a great place for technical information if you need it.  Joe

Bryce Sills

Thanks for all of the replies!  The the front suspension is the leading type with what looks like a swing arm on it.  My uncle tells me that you can hit a curb with it at about 20 mph and hardly feel it...I'd better check the wheels now that I think about it.  So, it's not a Penton, too bad.  With the enginges being a "shared" component is it safe to assume that some parts are interchangeable?  The clutch isn't working at all and the clutch cable seems suspect. A lot of the parts I've come across are Sachs/Penton/DKW

David Laite

Bryce welcome to the group! You have quite an interesting machine there, any chance you can post a photo? Thanks, David

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

garrettccovington

Bryce welcome to the group.  Try to post a pic (go to message board and do a search on how to post a pic)  These guy's could tell instantly what you have.  

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

checkcrew

Bryce, welcome to the group,
go to the for sale section and you will see a topic {69 Sachs info} started by Victor Monz, i added pics of a few of my Sachs bikes for Victor's info, see what you see, it may help,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Bryce Sills

Thanks for pointing me towards the picture, that's my bike exactly! Mine has a lot more rust, but if you squint your eyes just right...sounds like some of those guys have parts as well, I'll have to e-mail them.  I'll post a picture tomorrow, I'm going to have to read the how to.

tomale

Bryce, welcome from the Pacfic north west... there are a few guys up this way that have a few Pentons and a few Sachs or DKW's too... and a few Monarch's as well.. I have a little experience with the little Penton's so I may be of some help. I live just north of Seattle...Email me if I can help. Or if ya just want to talk vintage.
[email protected]

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

VICTOR MONZ

Bryce.

Welcome....hope you get the bug, its very much fun.

Victor

Bryce Sills

I'm going to attempt to post a picture of the bike.  Hope this works

You can tell from the brake side of the gas tank that the chrome is actually salvageable.  I've since been able to clean up the front fender and front wheel fairly well, the quality of the chrome on this bike is almost unbelievable!  But, then again, I thought old cars & bikes from CA were supposed to be rust free:D

tomale

Wow, it looks pretty complete, It should make a nice project bike...keep us posted on you progress....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

garrettccovington

WOW!!!  1st, Keep the Lic Plate.  Do not give it up to the DMV and try to keep it street legal.  If the DMV tries to take it Do Not let them.

2nd  I guess there is 2 schools of thought on restoration.  Some like to make them showroom perfect and some just like to clean them up.  I'm no expert on which is better.  I think I would clean it up and try to get it running 1st.  After that people will like it either way.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250