Wanted American Eagle /Sprite 125

Started by desmond197, February 15, 2010, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I have a friend that is looking for an American Eagle/Sprite 125 with the Zundapp motor. Any condition is OK even if it is a roller or a frame.

I have two of these bikes and my friend keeps bugging me to sell one so I told him I would help him find one.

Thanks

Kip Kern

Steve  I don't know about a Zundapp American Eagle but Forest Stahl has a few Husky copy American Eagles he would probably part with. 765-284-7653

desmond197

Thanks Kip I will have my friend give him a call.

bildough

i have one
you can see it at
//www.pelicanguanomotorsports.com

pictures were  taken before the decals were applied. they are VERY pricy due to the rarity. I am only aware of 2 others. The cost to do the nickling is even more than for a rickman as the frames were so badly made that the polishing took 15 man hours to prep for the nickle. The air canister we had to source out of Portugal at a price of $1,750. If you need a pipe you are looking at $700 if you have an old one to use as a jig.

Bill Cappel

Paul Danik

We had an American Eagle dealer just north of us, Augie and I would stop by on the way home from the races and peak thru the window, never did go in when he was open.  A year or so ago Judy and I were coming past that building one evening and a light was on, I stopped by and spoke with the guy.  Turns out he bought the place and never knew the history of the building, when I mentioned the dealership he said that explained a few things.  

Turns out some stuff was left behind, I still have a piece of the literature that was on the wall, it is for the American Eagle 125 Comanche, neat little bike.  When I was a kid I would write to companies and inquire about dealerships for all these crazy bikes, I think the dealer package from them was put together and signed by Walt Fulton and McCormack International.  I will have to look for that stuff sometime.

Paul

firstturn

Bill,
  I was happy to see you already had pictures of the Webco.  Thanks for going to the trouble and Expense to save this one off bike.  Your Collection is wonderful.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Steve,

I found the dealer's handout on the American Eagle 125 Comanche, it is also referred to as the American Eagle 125cc MOTO-CROSS in the text, not sure if it is also known as a Sprite, but you guys can figure that out. Except for some details it looks to be the same as the bike that Bill restored.  In the dealer handout the seat is pleated, the pipe is a bit different and a few other items.  If you or anyone else is interested in a copy of the handout just drop me a note at [email protected] and I will mail you a copy. The handout is one page on both sides and shows some years, but it shows a lot of details that a restorer would want to see.

When the snow goes away I will look for any items that may be for this model. It does state that the colors are red , blue, but the number plates are white.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Lew Mayer

Lew Mayer

desmond197

Thanks Paul The two bikes I have are complete and in good conditon. The motors need seals but that is about it. One has cast alloy side panels but they may have come from a 250 or 400 model.

They made a trails model but I have only seen a photo of one. These bikes were made by Sprite of England for American Eagle.
There is good American Eagle site but I can not fine my bookmark for it.

The bike I think handles great for the day but is a little heavy.
Sprite articles at the time said them made a large number of bikes. The old story Where are they now?

gooddirt

I also have 5 zundapp motors and parts if that helps.

gooddirt

I also have 5 zundapp motors and parts if that helps.

garrettccovington

I was at the Long Beach Motorcycle swap meet today and I met this guy who says he bought out all the American Eagle inventory when the company went out of business.  His name is Dave Duane and cell # 714-865-0660.  He said it was ok for me to post his name and # on the POG site.  

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

tooclose racing

I've said it before..I'll say it again.  The Pelican Guano collection is just amazing.  Once again I was sucked into that link (in this thread) and stared at about a dozen different bikes and their write-ups until my wife just called work and asked when I was coming home. [:I]

Larry Perkin's Berkshire story/bike link is still one of the best but I also drool profusely over the Noguchi-kitted YZ125.  Forgive me Poggers, but THAT was "da bomb" set-up in the Summer of 1974 (for about 15 minutes as it turns out...[8D])once the Far East invasion began.

Thank you for that collection.

firstturn

Too Close Racing
  The 100 that Larry used to win the National Championship has quite a history and I am glad that Bill Cappel  has invested in keeping a bike with such history in his remarkable collection.  Here is the post that Larry did at my request many years back.....enjoy it and I was at the race and the Astrodome went wild when he won against al the DG and FMF bikes.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4984&SearchTerms=astrodome

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tooclose racing

Thank you, Ron.  That IS a fantastic story!  LP - the man, the myth...;)

Oh yea..and the bike, too~[:p]