Stolen bike info for police

Started by conrad2, March 14, 2010, 06:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conrad2

Hey gang,
Many of you know I am a police officer and my jurisdiction includes an area north of Pittsburgh that includes our fabulous POG President Danik's stomping grounds. So not only do I have to fight crime I have to act as security for the President during many road trips!
I have traveled in POG ONE (F-150 Ford) many times and the food is not so great.
But seriously... today I just took a third report of a stolen "dirt" bike within the last two weeks. Plus Jake Fischer's Competition Cycles(which I also patrol) was burglarized recently. Luckily no bikes were taken
Paul Danik asked if I might convey to you what police need to report a stolen bike. The main thing we need is a VIN. We cannot even register a bike with the federal crime center w/o a VIN. But most officers have no idea what they are looking for when someone tells them their bike was stolen. So good digital pictures of both sides come in handy. We post the pictures on our area crime network so other departments can see them. Another very helpful thing to is to engrave, inscribe etc. the VIN somewhere hidden on the bike. I have done it under the gas tank,inside the rim of the wheel a few of my bikes even have a piece of tape inside the handle bars. This will allow us to to get a VIN when we recover a bike even if the stinkers file it off. Only you know where it will be.
Another issue we were tossing around was to have racers submit their VIN numbers on their race applications. It would not only let race officials determine if the bike is in the right class, but we may be able to run VINs from races through our computer.
Any thoughts Ted Landers?? One issue is privacy though.
Anyway hope this helps. If you have any questions or sugestions for me let me know.
Thanks
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

firstturn

Conrad,
  Thank you for your service to your area and also the professional diving you do to help people in trouble.  I wish more people would understand that just putting  number on the bike that can be seen easily helps spot a stolen bike.  Thanks again for all you do.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

garrettccovington

Putting VIN #'s on parts is a great Idea.  I have often wonder how many parts on Craigslist or EBAY are parts from stolen bikes.  The theft of Bikes out here in the High Desert is unbelievable. To bad somebody doesn't make a little kit for the homeowner to electro-chemical etch the numbers into stuff.  Everytime I try to etch a number with a etching tool, It looks, just plan bad.

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

conrad2

Thanks guys,
The "etched" VIN doen't have to be perfect. If we recover a bike and the owner says hey.. there is a number engraved under the frame somewhere that helps in identifying the bike is theirs. But the national system will only take a VIN. If you don;t have that we can't even enter it.

I also would not be as concerned about vintage bikes as new ones. We think most of these hits are younger scumbags who will ride the stolen bikes not part them out or restore them. They also know that there are 100's of KTM EXC's in the area and it would be hard to pinpoint a stolen one. But I gaurantee I'll be looking at a truck with a Jack Piner or a Hiro Penton in the back of it.
Most of all keep your garages adn sheds locked.
All of these bikes were stolen from unlocked garages.
I also want to make the record straight... Two bikes were taken and Jake's was hit while I was at bike week! that didn't happen on my watch!!!

Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

David Laite

Garrett has a good point and engraving does work. Just as a six dollar pencil tip engraver keeps tools from growing feet, it can later help identify your motorcycle and its respective parts. Honda CRF's are high on the went missing list and you can alter their appearance so easily.

There's a new laser engraver over at Army aviation that can actually etch a photo or anything you place on the scanner. Now I have an idea.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

garrettccovington

I've seen Electro-Chemical etch P/N's and serial # on Key parts, like wing spar's.  It doesn't damage the metal and looks really nice. It would look "Factory" as oppose my scrible with a pen scribe.
g

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

garrettccovington

I found a "Starter Kit" for $80 on the internet and sent them a e-mail to see if this would work on Mag, AL and Cr-Moly.
//www.etching-metal.com/etching/etcher.htm

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

David Laite

That looks like a decent product that should work for our purpose, quite reasonably priced as well.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR