Donald C. Guthrie RIP

Started by OhioTed, March 21, 2010, 05:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

We laid my father to rest yesterday.  He was just shy of his 85th birthday, and was fully active and independent right up to the day he passed.  This is a blessing, as I dreaded more than anything the prospect of him someday becoming infirm and unable to maintain his desired lifestyle.  

One of my great regrets in life is that Dad and I did not share in the motorcyling hobby.  He did however, purchase my first bike for me, never discouraged me in any way and, I am certain, was proud of how I conducted myself in the sport.

As a younger man, Dad's chosen sport was auto racing.  With cars supported by his employer, Dad enjoyed considerable success on the local and regional stock car racing scene in the late 40's and early 50'.  Beginning with "jalopies", as he called them, Dad and his co-horts later campaigned Hudson Hornets, and he eventually closed out his career in a '51 Ford.

Those were extremely dangerous days in auto racing, with only rudimentary safety equipment, and dangerous, often dusty and/or poorly-lit tracks.  But there was money to be made, as in post-war, pre-television America, local auto racing drew big crowds.  Dad told me that at times they would race four times a week - one weeknight, then Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday afternoons.  Talk about a tough schedule!

We have no photographs of Dad's racing days, although I was able to secure the images below from some old movie films.  Watching those films was amazing.  The tracks were rough, and these cars, while very fast, were far from sophisticated in terms of suspension for example.  Scary stuff, watching Dad going wide open, while the car bounced and pitched from one hole to another out on the track.  And last but not least, this was a man who achieved his share of top finishes and feature wins, against extremely tough competition, with the handicap of sight in only one eye.  Yep, as the result of a childhood accident, Dad managed all that rough and tumble action with no depth-perception.  Speaking of rough and tumble, check out the big push-bar on the front of the car.  What do you figure that was for?    

I celebrate my father's life by considering that he accomplished virtually everything he ever set out to do.  He and my mom had seven kids, and always provided a secure home for all of us, with plenty of food on the table.  Our's was a modest home, but I cannot say that I ever suffered for want of anything.  Through hard work and a modest lifestyle, Dad was able to enter into semi-retirement at age 45.  He and mom acquired a little vacation home in Florida, where they began wintering in 1969.  The place in Naples has over the years provided Grandma & Grandpa Guthrie, Dad's parents, with a wonderful retirement home until their passing, a vacation destination for countless friends and family and, after mom's passing some ten years ago, Dad's home nearly year-round.  Dad's door was always open to any and everyone.  I could have picked any one of you from our Penton family, called Dad and told him you were going to be in Naples, and he would have welcomed you with open arms and an invitation to stay as long as you wanted.  While there, you would have enjoyed the company of an expert fisherman, accomplished fruit and vegetable farmer, and a great, great cook.  

After a fulfilling and amazing life, Dad passed March 2nd, 2010.  Although his health was failing, he was still full of vim and vigor.  In fact, it was injuries suffered in a go-carting accident from which Dad succummed.  Leave it to Dad to go out in such a way.

Ted Guthrie

hanksie

Ted, Sorry to hear of your loss.Sounds like he lived a full life.You and yours have our sympathy.   Bill & Michelle  P.S. Do you know if he ever raced at Midvale Speedway in Ohio,about 4 hills away from Mathias Raceway?

VICTOR MONZ

Ted.

What a wonderful life your Dad had and a son to share his story with us.  I too lost my Dad years ago and to celebrate his life, his thought for others and my Dad's "Old '51 Merc chopped and channeled" stories was heart warming and helped me through with a few tears,  mostly smiles. It really showed me life is to celebrate, each breath we take.

May God Bless you and your Family, Ted, and your Pops, too. My deepest sympathy and congradulations on a celebration of his wonderful life.

Victor

firstturn

Thanks Ted for the story of your Father.  Great pictures and it is heat warming to hear that they raised 7 Children and that he and your Mother was able to accomplish so much.

Godspeed.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mark P

That was a wonderful tribute to your dad!
Deepest Regards

Lew Mayer

My deepest condolences on your loss.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Britt Boyette

I am truely sorry for your loss. I know I sure miss my dad after all these years. He lived knowing he had a good son and that's all a dad can ask for out of life.
In early Grand National NASCAR style, that front bumper was refered to as the chrome horn. Get me some more info on when and where he raced and I may be able to get you more info on his driving career and who knows, maybe a picture. I know some people in this field.

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
75 Can Am (future flat tracker)
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Too much of a good thing?
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Doug Wilford

Ted;
May your Dad rest in peace and God bless. You,and your families.
Sincerely,
Doug ,Dot Wilford

paul a. busick

Ted and Rebal,
  Sorry to hear of your loss.  Your Dad may not have shared your interest in motorcycles. But it sounds like he loved banging about on the dirt track and that was a good thing.
 Yours truly,
 P.A. Busick

400gs6

Sorry to hear about your Father's passing. Sounds like he was one incredible man.  This world needs more like him.

Kurt
KURT FLACHBART

David Laite

Sorry to learn of your loss, sounds like a neat Dad, like mine was.
David & Debbie Laite

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

iyaoyas

Ted,

Very nice tribute to your father.  Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Stephen Markley

tomale

Sorry to hear of your loss, What a great tribute to a great man. May the God of all peace be with you as you walk these next few months.  I still have my Father, A great man as well.. He turns 90 in May. My Mother passed away 34 years ago and I know it will not be too much longer until I will have to say my last good bye to a Man who has always loved me. you are in my prayers...you and your family..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

swamp fox

I'm also sorry for your loss Ted. May the memories last a lifetime, and keep a smile on your face.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

slvrbrdfxr

Ted,
I truly enjoyed reading the post about your father. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Dave McCullough