Starting a MC5 400

Started by Britt Boyette, March 21, 2010, 03:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VICTOR MONZ

I had a similar expeience as a teenager...a 1974 Harley Sportster, with a kick start only and the last year of a right side shift.  I was in high school and about 120 lbs dripping wet, the cold winter starts were the worst !

I repeat what was said above, I had to kick it like I was meant it !  Both feet on the kicker and get it just before it explodes and give it all I had...I ended up on the ground a few times...but usually got it and  or pushed it...course the compression relase did help !

Today, it is the little bore motors I like...they have even caught me off guard.  A finely tuned machine will start...just mean business when kicking it over.

Victor

JCHubbard

I just picked up my MINT this weekend...I've owned about 10 vintage open class bikes of both Euro and Asian persuasion -- and the MINT has the most compression my leg/foot/thigh has ever known. The motor is unbelievable.
JC Hubbard

brian kirby

A lot of it is compression, but a lot of it is the gear ratio on the kickstart mechanism is very "tall" on the KTM compared to most other bikes. For example, on my Maico a full stroke spins the engine over barely more than 1 revolution, where the KTM with a full stroke spins over 3-4 revolutions, which is why I ease it just past TDC so I make sure I get past that first compression stroke. This makes the already stout compression seem even more than it is, but if you get it past that first compression stroke it makes the easier to start.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Big Mac

Guys...time to man up. The Mint 400 motors spin easier than  CZ 400s, unless maybe the timing is too advanced.

Grab a step stool and put a boot to the '81 495. That'll make you a fan of the easy-kicking Mint in a hurry. Helps to be big though.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by Big Mac

Guys...time to man up. The Mint 400 motors spin easier than  CZ 400s, unless maybe the timing is too advanced.

Grab a step stool and put a boot to the '81 495. That'll make you a fan of the easy-kicking Mint in a hurry. Helps to be big though.
Or a nearby hill!:D

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
75 Can Am (future flat tracker)
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Too much of a good thing?
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Lloyd Boland

Big Mac is right.  In the early '70s I had E.C.Bert build a very radical and high compression CZ 400 for me, modified combustion chamber, reed valve, even had a Bing carb.  I once broke my foot from the kickback on that motor, and I was wearing my boots.  I have 3 CZ 400s now, all have motor work done to them and none of them are anywhere close to that E.C. Bert motor.  In the late 1980s I thought I was done with racing and the vintage scene had not started yet.  Nobody wanted that bike, so I dumped it into the dumpster.  I wish I had that motor now. Hindsite is 20/20.
Lloyd

brian kirby

I agree with Big Mac also. The only time I have any issues with kicking any bike over is when I do not commit 100% to kicking it. Especially with big bores (two or four stroke) the key is to not be timid, the worse thing you can do is give it half effort, that is when they kick back and hurt you or break off the kickstarter.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Dave Mitchell

Rain Man

Me too Dave.  Base gaskets and lower compression are always bearable compared to Hip replacement... :(

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tofriedel

Here is a new method for starting big bore bikes.  I have neer seen this before, but the video shows you how to do it.  The guy is even wearing sneakers.

You can check it out here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FamfgXMW9Mc

I haven't tried it because I'm to old and scared.  LOL

Tony
Tony

Randy Kirkbride

Tony,
I wish I knew that back in 1972 when I had my 3-man 450 Husky. It was a 3-man bike cause you needed 2 guys to push to get it started!

brian kirby

This is not needed with a Bing, when you blow in the vent tube you are just flooding the Mikuni like the tickler does to a Bing. Its a neat tip, but laying the bike on its side until it overflows does the same thing, thats what I do with the '79 Maico 440 that has a Mikuni. Works great.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

tofriedel

Brian,

Yes, that was the way we started our KTM's & Maico's when we were racing many years ago.  Then, we found Lectron's.  Trouble free.

Tony
Tony

David Laite

Try that with my YZ490 and you'll end up with a very wet NGK and sneakers would leave you with a very sore arch. His RM did start nicely, with the Lectron carb.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

brian kirby

That is a flat slide TM Mikuni, it came stock on that bike.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian