Advice needed

Started by Paul Danik, March 25, 2010, 09:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don howard

Hi Kip Kern  After reading the article about a good bike for cow trailing, and hearing you said you lowered the bike 2"inches. Could you tell me if i could lower a 08 xt 250 yamaha? I to am inseam empaired.  don howard

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by don howard

Hi Kip Kern  After reading the article about a good bike for cow trailing, and hearing you said you lowered the bike 2"inches. Could you tell me if i could lower a 08 xt 250 yamaha? I to am inseam empaired.  don howard

You might be able to trim the seat foam down but I think it may require a good suspension shop to lower the forks and shock.

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
75 Can Am (future flat tracker)
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Too much of a good thing?
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
06 KX450f flat tracker/ MX racer
09 Kawasaki Versys

Kip Kern

Don,  My suspension was removed, torn down and internal dampers were installed.  While there, Hall's Husqvarna revalved my suspension and it is amazing.  I went from 12" of travel to 10" but I can't tell the difference as I am used to 4"!  I won't buy another modern machine unless I have it lowered 2", now, I can touch the ground with both feet and do not crash as easily as I used to.  Mentally and physically, it is fantastic for me!  Any bike can be lowered like mine, it cost around $300 and was worth every penny![:p]

Mark P

No one has mentioned the Husky 125. Husky may be the last to make a 125 two-stroke with lights also. It looks like a nice machine.  Its on their website.  By the way, now that I am healing up from work(after a loooong recovery), I am back in the saddle again. I load up my DP bike, a Suzki DR650 and go do DP rides with other riders here in TX.  In addition to the popular KTM 450/530s, I am seeing more and more of the Husky TEs. To me, they seem to fit the niche between the KTM and bikes like the DR650. One may be in my future before the Democrat VAT tax hits...

Kip, if I pick one up, I may contact you in your role as the POG Husky TE xpert.  They do come with some admission control things that I understand hurt performance pretty badly.   I havent ridden one yet but am looking forward to it.

Kip Kern

Mark

No problem, the TE's are fantastic!  I had the original Map on my bike for about 1 1/2 years then I had it remapped to a more aggressive low and mid and love the bike even more.  Nice thing about fuel injection, you can change it to suit your riding ability anytime.  Maintenance wise, I change the oil about 4 times a year, adjusted the valves 1 time in 2 years, that's it!  The 2 stroke 125 is a cool ride, Husky also makes a dual purpose 125 but it is only available in Europe:(  The key thing with any brand, have a great dealer that you can work with and trust, not one who is just interested in selling units.  I drive 4 hours one way to Hall's in Ill, as I trust them (ISDE riders and AA Enduro riders) they are awesome during and after the sale!  50 state legal and a fun ride is what I was looking for.  Check out "Thumpertalk"  Husky 4 Stroke for a ton of owners and info.  Sorry, I got carried away!  Go Penton![:p]

OhioTed

I'm going to speak up on behalf of the little KDX200 Kaws, Paul.  A couple of years ago a customer of mine asked if I wanted to buy his son's, which had been left behind when the boy moved out, and was cluttering up his shed.  

At first I declined, but his asking price was so low that I thought, what the heck.  Besides, I remembered that guys running the green bikes in our tough and challenging Ohio Hare Scrambles always seemed to go really well.  

Although this particular KDX is an older model (a '93!), it is a super little bike.  It is stock except for a pipe, is light, has very plush suspension, and is ridiculoulsy easy to ride.  Friendliest dirt bike I've ever known.  AA riders could certainly find fault with 'em, but for the rest of us mortals, they run super.    

There are tons of KDX's out there, cheap.  They're bulletproof, parts are readily available and inexpensive (just call up Jeff Fredette), and last but not least, Dane Leimbach's touch is evident in every aspect of the bikes.  They work!

Jeff D

Yeah, don't forget the Penton influence on the KDX series.  Jack, Dane, Carl and others played a big part in the development of the KDX, so there's definitely a real POG link to the green mo-sheens!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

don howard

Thanks  Kip for the advice on lowering the bike. Will look into a good suspension shop see if they can lower it. thanks again  Don Howard

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mark P

No one has mentioned the Husky 125. Husky may be the last to make a 125 two-stroke with lights also. It looks like a nice machine.  Its on their website.

The WR125 and the new 2010 model TE250 share the same frame. The TE wins out however because it is street legal.:D

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
09 Kawasaki Versys

Kip Kern

Britt

Does the 2010 TE310 have the same frame as the WR125 and TE250?  That would be great!:D

Britt Boyette

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

Britt

Does the 2010 TE310 have the same frame as the WR125 and TE250?  That would be great!:D

If it's the TE250 with a big bore kit on it then yes. I haven't got a chance to see a 310 up close so I don't know for sure. A good minute looking at them at a dealer would clear that up as the 125/250f frame looks very different from the 450/510 frame.

Britt Boyette
76 400 MC5 (project)
77 250 MC5 (uberproject)
77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
75 Hodaka Road Toad
83 YZ250
Britt Boyette

77 Husky WR250
76 RM370
09 Kawasaki Versys

Kip Kern

Britt

I would hate to trade my Husky, I have never ridden a bike that turns as good as my "08" TE250.  The frame is perfect, Husky moved the rider forward and up towards the tank.  Simply think about it and the bike will turn![:p]  I do like the 390 Husaberg though, a friend has one and it goes through the woods like a flash![:0]

baxtermcc

If you'd like to go for a ride some weekend, Jason is more than welcome to try out my KDX 220.  I can ride my IT175.  I think the KDX is a great bike for casual riding, and for all the riding I do these days you can't beat it.
Bob

wfopete

+1 for the KDX.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mark P

Just received latest issue of Moto Retro Illustrated. There is a profile interview with Kenny Roberts at his homestead out in CA.  He has a barn full of older bikes and one of them is a KDX. (There is a picture of it) He said in the interview that bikes that get pushed there dont often leave so maybe Kenny would part with it.  That would be cool to have a bike owned by KR!