Motoplat don't fit

Started by Gary Eaves, April 10, 2010, 04:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Gary,

The Sachs engine number from Penton V-015 is 5389021, and the Sachs engine number from the original sales receipt from Penton Brothers Motorcycle Agency for Penton V-002 is 5389013. Both of these Pentons were built very early in 1968.  The number from your engine, 5499134, would indicate that it was built after the 1968 Pentons that I supplied the numbers from.  How long afterward, your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks for presenting such an interesting topic.

Good luck.
Paul

Paul Danik

Dan,

On page 2 of Penton parts book 001, check out items 26 and 27, they are the  plug and washer for the oil injection hole in the early cast iron Sachs cylinder.  I have used the plugged oil injection hole for years as one of the clues as to if an early 68 Penton has the original engine in it.

Paul

firstturn

Per Pauls discussion on the plug (and washer) on the early Sachs engines for the Pentons  is way I use to identify the early engines (too).  The engine that was in V001 when it was found was 5389598 which was a replacement engine to keep John's bike fresh for all the races he would enter.  It has the same bolt on the intake as Paul has described.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

After reading this I went out to take a look at my 68ST. V-0144 has the oil injection plug on the intake and engine # 5499736.
Dave McCullough

Gary Eaves

Sorry i did not know the oil-pump thing would start such a stir!!!
RON(and mr throwchain) When i can work out how post photos on to the site i will be more than happy to show you the pump & case
DANE The motoplat system 9600162 that i was trying to fit came off my other wassell 5b and i had ridden with it untill it expired?
PAUL Thanks for all your help and advice, dont know how old it is? but it has a bronze bush in the top of the con rod
Just found out tonight the wassell front pipe dont fit onto the barrel!!!
lastly the motor no:5499134 that we have talking of, has yet to be started  from new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to you all:)
GARY

Gordon Brennan

Posting pictures?

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  11:24:58 AM      
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print this out and follow these steps if you do not already have a picture hosting account.
Go to Photobucket.com and click Join Now.
Type in your email address and then choose a password then re-type it and click next.
Fill in your personal information field, security code, and click accept.
Click on Choose Files in the middle RH side of the page.
Choose the location on your computer where your pics are stored.
(I usually download them to my pictures, which is located under My Documents, but you could download them right from your camera if it is connected to your Computer.)
Choose your pic from the file. You may need to click open.
Add Title or description, Optional.
Click return to album...easiest way for me, then put cursor on picture and 4 links will appear.
Left click on the bottom link which starts with (img), then right click on it and select copy.
Open a new tab opr browser window, got to message board and paste the code in your text on a new line for each picture, and post your message and you are finished. Mike

Michael R. Winter

Paul Danik

Gary,

It is a pleasure to have you be a part of the Penton Owners Group message board family.  

Is the exhaust port on your cylinder oval or rectangular?  

The fact that you have a top end bushing leads me to believe that you have an aluminum connecting rod and most likely a cast iron cylinder with a rectangular exhaust port.

Is your bike a Wassell Trials bike like the one in this picture?
http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=180&hr=1

Take care,
Paul

TGTech

Gary,
If you have the flywheel that will fit to the Sachs engine, then you can use the stator and coil. But the flywheel (9600162) will not fit to the Sachs engines.  
Dane

firstturn

Gary,
  No stir...we just enjoy seeing and hearing of things we don't see everyday.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

garrettccovington

Gary
This is a very interesting post and thread.  I never new Sachs motors had oil injection.  Please post some pics

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

454MRW

There is always something new to learn on this informative site! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Gary Eaves

Here's the photos [:0] !!!!!!!

Hope thay are ok and you can see them ?
Thanks to gordon with photobucket help
Paul thank you for kind welcome message,And yes both my wassell's
look like that(not as shiney YET !),thay both have rectangular ex-port,but the first one has had conversion to the front pipe

DANE thay did say you new your stuff ,and yes you are right !!!!!
dug out my box of bits and found flywheel with right numbers and taper, sorted :)

Thanks to you all again,
GARY

thrownchain

Seeing is beleiving. Must definately be a rare unit. How long did they build these motors with pumps?? and what brands most likely used this set-up?? anyone know?? Was it short lived because of failure issues or was pre-mix just the easier way to go??

Paul Danik

Gary,

Great pictures, thank you.

I am curious as to what the serial numbers on your Wassells are?  Most all the ones in the states pretty much fall between 200 and 750, would you be kind enough to post yours?  They are on the steering head.

Also, have you ever seen a BSA Bantam powered Wassell?  From what I have read, the BSA engine was the original power source for the Wassells but the engine supply dried up. I know of several in the states, but they mostly have Sachs power.

Dan,

Sachs was an engine supplier to many brands of motorcycles, both for street use and off road.  My guess is that the oil injected engines were used primarily for street use. Over the years I have seen both in print and in person a lot of Sachs powered off road machines and I don't recall any being oil injected, but quite possibly someone somewhere did use it for off road. As far as reliability of the oil pump system, just going on my own experience with Sachs engines I would bet a steak dinner that they were superb.....

Paul

garrettccovington

That is neat!  I've never seen a side cover or oil injection before.  Now I wonder about the tank and does the oil injection cable hook up to the magura dual pull twist grip?

G

72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250