DKW 125 MOTOCROSS

Started by rocket randy, April 21, 2010, 12:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocket randy

I HAVE A 1972 DKW 125 motocross with betor forks, It has the 6a engine and seems to run good. Does anyone know how competive it would be compaired to the Penton 125's,Husky 125's, CZ125's in the classic class in motocross. Thanks for the info. Randy

sachsmx

I'd say you would be competitive with a good pair of shocks (Works or Progressive if money is an issue)and some basic fork and engine tuning. I've always liked the looks of the Deeks, even more so than the Pentons of that era.

Larry Perkins

With equal riders in MX the 5A motor will get blown in Classic class.  Small bore MX is a game of revs and the 5A motor with stock flywheel won't rev.

Larry P

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

With equal riders in MX the 5A motor will get blown in Classic class.  Small bore MX is a game of revs and the 5A motor with stock flywheel won't rev.

Larry P

He said it has a 6A engine not a 5A .   Not much better but you can do quite well on a torquey 125 engine. I actually prefer milder tuned engines for more low end. They corner so much better and are better in technical situations. Of course down a long straight they are handicapped but they make it up in the turns.  Most of the time.
I have a Hercules K100GS.  Basically a 100cc version of the DKW Hornet (Betor fork version of the Motocross 125).  I think the shorter frame handles pretty good. I have a set of 12 series Progressive suspenion shocks on mine.

joe novak

Hello,  Vintage Racing is all about having a great time riding or racing vintage and historic motorcycles, viewing others' motorcycles, meeting old friends, meeting new friends, sharing stories, and doing some travelling.  I MUST encourage you to bring out the 1972 DKW 125 MX with Betor forks and race.  It sounds like an interesting motorcycle which I certainly would like to see at a Vintage race.    What diameter Betor forks does it have?   Did the DKW come stock with them?  I ask because I have a 1973 Penton 125 which had Betor forks installed later some time.   I had a Sachs 6A in my 1972 Penton 100.  The engine's performance was sort of like that between the performance of the Sachs 5A and the Sachs 6B engine.   I built that Penton exclusively for Hare Scramble racing, and it really was the ideal bike at that time.  The wide usable power band, torquey engine made it ideal for most conditions whether it was muddy, hilly, tight woods, or MX.   Personally, I might trade you a 6B for that 6A you have...    Joe

brian kirby

Put a PVL with its small internal rotor ignition and it will be as good as anything else. Even if you dont get a PVL it will still be a total blast which is what its all about anyway.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

joe novak

Great idea, Brian!   I think a 125 Sachs 6A with an internal Motoplat, or better yet, a modern PVL internal ignition, will make that engine run close to a stock 125 Sachs 6B engine.   A lot of performance improvements can be made with better countershaft and rear hub gearing, too.   Great suggestion to work on improved handling with front suspension tuning and better rear shocks.   joe

brian kirby

Joe, I prefer light flywheel mass on small bikes. I feel the external rotor ignitions are too heavy for a 100/125 and it makes them too hard to get "on the pipe" and rev too slow. The single biggest performance increase I got with my 100 was the PVL. But it really is rider preference, I like hard hitting quick revving bikes but with another rider that might be a terrible setup.

The thing about his DKW is a good fresh stock Sachs will have the power to compete in Classic 125, maybe not at the top of the Expert class, but everywhere else it will be just fine and most importantly it will be fun!

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Rocket,  Your DKW, properly tuned, will be competitive in AHRMA Classic at any level, be it Novice, Intermediate or Expert.  After all, it really is the rider... not the bike.  I've raced successfully with  5A,6A,6B,6D Sachs engines.  The large crank of the "A" engine gives a more tactile pull out of tight corners or on traction-less terrain.  An "A" with a PVL is similar to a "B" external Motoplat .  A "B" with a PVL is too revvy in some cases (IMO).  More important than the alphabet designation of your engine is getting the bike squared away.  You need crisp shifting, sharp carburetion, good rubber, top shelf suspension and a rider who is ready to race.  Miss one of the above and you will be eating somebody else's dust.  The consistent class winners take it seriously and beating them takes some doing.  However, the large majority are just out for a good time and come the races half-cocked.  Their bike won't start or loads up or the chain jumps off ...  heck, sometimes their carb fall off!   Beating these goobers is easy.  Good luck.  -EP
Goober hole-shotting the field at Mid-O '07 (Texas Tuned 5A)

A vs B cranks

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

firstturn

Randy....listen to Ernie.  He is like you and an old Pro.  Not sure of what a Goober is, but I can tell you that when Ernie is on he is on.  Thanks Ernie for telling the way it is.  BTW Larry, Ric and Tom won another Best of the Desert Race today.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tofriedel

Bob Too Close Racing,  

Did Ernie just call you a Goober???

Tony Friedel
Tony

joe novak

It's no wonder that your A Sachs is slower than your B Sachs.  That's a 125 piston stuck on the end of the B crank, and a 100 piston stuck to the end of the A crank.

brian kirby

They look like the same size pistons to me.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

tooclose racing

Quotequote:Originally posted by tofriedel

Bob Too Close Racing,  

Did Ernie just call you a Goober???

Tony Friedel

Thought you would slip that in and see if I'm asleep at the wheel, did't ya Tony?  But no, while I did reach Goober "status" with my 2009 VMD most excellent adventure (over the handlebars and into the woods...), that is the original "Gomer Pyle" from the state of Tennessee in that picture.  There is only one 50V.

rocket randy

Joe Novak $ Ernie Phillips can you email me your numbers or call me at 405-650-8326  Email me at [email protected]  Thanks Randy