Admin

G Ellis

My guess is are own RC. Later Gary

Paul Danik

Gary,

Nice guess, but the prize stays on the shelf for now [8D]

Paul

3putt

I'm going to say Thomas Carmichael, only because I know he raced one in the 70.   I know that because I've been doing a lot of thinking and praying for him, as well as reading about him over the last few weeks.   W Nelson McCullough

Paul Danik

Nelson :D

The big prize has your name on it, next time I see you we can discuss it.....

Yes, the picture is of Thomas, I spoke with Thomas tonight and he said he was about 14 in the picture.  He said it was taken in about 1970-71 at a track in South Carolina.  Thomas said it was a scrambles race and that he really enjoyed scrambles.

Hopefully we can get Thomas to tell us a little more about the picture.

Paul

joe novak

I remember riding and racing while wearing jeans and long-sleeve flannel shirts.   That is what we did in the early 70's.  I bought my leather linemen's boots from J.C.Penney's.  It took forever to lace those boots.  My friend, Tom Janosik, used a kitchen knife to trim the heels at a 45 degree angle so that they would not stick to the foot pegs.  Don't forget the $25 ONTARIO Department Store helmet for head protection....  All set to ride!

tmc3c

Hello everyone!  This is Clinta, Thomas's wife posting a message from him:

This picture was taken in 1971, on turn 4 at Chisolm Trails on Johns Island, South Carolina.  They used to sell t-shirts that said race in the shade because of all the oak trees there.  

Within 100 yards from where this picture was taken was a big deep jump, probably about 15-20 feet wide with a soft landing.  The course was very nice, it was my favorite.  

It was about this time of year and I finished in the top 3, as I usually did at this track.  This was a scramble track and later when flat tracking started, that became my focus.  

I'm wearing Knapp Lineman's boots, Bell Helmet with full-face insert, Hanes T-shirt and Levi Jeans, the uniform of champions for that time.  I'm riding a 1971 Penton 125 which I have one of those right now in my garage that I'm planning on restoring just like the one in this picture.  I rode for my father's factory team and was will equipped for all my races.  It's hard to beat a Penton!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

jeff greenberg

Joe, It took forever to lace up those lineman boots!!  BTW- I have the actual serial # of the motor on Jon Leak's Berkshire if you ever want to verify that that particular Berkie belonged to Jon.
You can email me if you want to.
Jeff

Admin

Here are some more pics of Thomas from "back in the days..."

And the homepage photo again...

And a couple from the present...

Paul Danik

Great picture with the front wheel up, check out the rear tire...
I'll bet the smile on Thomas matched the one on his shirt, that is an awesome picture, it could have been in a Penton sales brochure.

Great shot of #7 leading the pack thru the corners. You were showing them the way Thomas :D

Paul

Paul Danik

In reading about the riding gear from days gone by, I remembered one item that I always used to wear, but I don't see anyone using one in the pictures. Did any of you guys ever use a kidney belt?  

Paul

Lew Mayer

Yep, only now it's a girdle.:D

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Mark P

Quotequote:Originally posted by Lew Mayer

Yep, only now it's a girdle.:D

Lew Mayer

LOL. Now, that's funny!

Glenn Berry

I remember back in the late 60s when I rode Trials,No one ever wore a helmet,just a tee shirt,jeans and full bore boots. We did wear those white flat bell hats. I guess we thought if it said Bell we were safe,or maybe we just didnt have that much to protect. I would love to have one of those hats if anyone knows where to find them.
Thanks,Glenn

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

tomale

That's great... Nice Job Thomas..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W