RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler

Started by Larry Perkins, May 05, 2010, 08:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Just got word that Magoo has passed away.  He has had a lot of physical battles in the past few years from his paralysis.  Many poggers will remember the great picture of Magoo jumping turned and crossed up on a MC5 125 KTM in 76-77.  He was one of the few riders to do damage to the field with the KATOOM 125 motor.  

Danny never left motorcycling for long even though he was paralyzed.  He continued to teach moto and go to races.  I loosely shared the field of battle with him on several occasions including a memorable one in which we had a brief but torrid battle in a local race he appeared for in Miami Oklahoma shortly after I left Texas and moved to Yankeeland.  He of course got away from me but I was the only other rider on the same lap which I was always proud of.  I remember that race well because a barn burnt down in the middle of the day and after our race a local guy said to me, "Man that was a barn burner.":D

Danny was the guy that went fast on sheer heart and desire more than ability.  Young guys should watch his crash on video that paralyzed him and they will see how simply things can go wrong and change your life.  In his second life after MX Danny pushed safety and safety gear religously.

Danny was a wild child one of a kind that could never be replaced.  He was something to watch and will be missed in our sport as a racer, a teacher, and a man.

RIP Danny and God Speed.  The pain is over now, and I hope today you are riding free once again.  Thanks for having shared with us for awhile.

Larry P

firstturn

Thanks Larry for the update and your shared story.  He truly rode with a BIG HEART.  He will be missed.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

brian kirby

No one will ever match that couple of weekends in '82 when he won all four motos of the Trophee' and MX des Nations. I saw him ride at the Saddleback Nationals in '83 and '84, he was always one of my favorites.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

Here is a link to the Brad Lackey page where there is a couple of Magoo videos from when Brad was raising money to buy Danny a new van.  The first video has a painting that has the Penton 125 cross uped picture for those who never saw it and the second one has some great pics and film of Danny in action back in "The Day".

//www.bradlackey.com/Magoo_Video.html

Larry P

Dave Mitchell

This has been a tough year in this regard for me personnaly and for the sport,I'll bet it's wfo in heaven tonight.He ain't hurtin no more. Godspeed buddy.
Dave

Mike Lenz

I have to say Im suprised.  No mention of any serious problems in the recient fund rasing for the van??

Dwight Rudder

ossaracer

Sad to hear for sure.  I last saw him at the 2007 MXoN at Budd's Creek.   He was the most exciting, WFO racer I ever saw.

For those of you that don't have it or seen "The Story of Magoo" DVD go to  //www.dannymagoo.com  and BUY it.  It is an amazing story of a never say die racer, and a fitting tribute to the man and legend.  Some Penton 125 shots to....

RIP Magoo,  we love you......

Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love 'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet
Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love \\\'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet