Mothers Day

Started by Paul Danik, May 09, 2010, 08:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

The years just seem to fly by and life at times is just a whirlwind of activities, but we do need to put the brakes on occasionally and step back, to pause and consider who we are, and how we came to be. Today, Mothers Day, is just such a day, at least that is how I see it.

The older I get the more I look back in amazement as to how important my Mom was to my riding days, and I am sure that many of you have the same feelings. From mud to blood, they handled it all.  

From someone who's Mom has been gone for many years I encourage any of you who still have your Mom to appreciate the day and take some time to let Mom know your feelings. I know I sound like an old goat, but years will do that even to a kid.

Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms out there.

Paul

VICTOR MONZ

I owe lots of my riding experiences to Mom, she would let me and my buddies load up my Suzuki scooter into her 72 Lincoln Continental and take us to the local park to ride all day, she taught me how to drive when I was 15 and we both got busted by the cops, I went to juvenile court and Mom in front of the local Judge.  She would always cover for me when the cops chased me and my buddies tearing up the town and say I was home in my pj's all morning.

Yeah the hots meals were ready after races and lots of muddy clothes got washed.

I could go on and on.....Thanks Mom !

Victor

chicagojerry

i'm especially grateful this year on mother's day. my mom had a severe stroke while i was at diamond don's. her recovery thus far has been nothing short of miraculous. i know that many of you that were aware of the situation were praying for her. as were many, many others. she is back home and able to walk and talk which is testament to the power of the aforementioned  prayers. she still has some issues that she and the family are contending with but we are extremely happy that she is still with us. i hope that all of you can be as happy with your time with your mothers here on earth as i have been with mine.  
god bless.     chi jer

firstturn

Paul,
  Thanks for the post and I am one that is Blessed to still have my Mother at age 90.  She has had a lot of medical problems, but the Irish in her will not let her give up.  She never wanted me to have or race motorcycles, but was the first to ask the results the next day.

Victor,
  Great stories you have shared about your Mom.....still in your PJ's....too good.

Jerry,
  I have your Mother in my Prayers.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rfpotter

I too still have Mother with me at the age of 79 and in good health for her age. With Dad passing three years ago, she means more to me than ever, although that took me some time to realize that.

There is a special place in Heaven for her when she gets there, because Lord knows my early years made it a test only a saint could pass, and she did.

Love you Mom,
Patrick

conrad2

My mom is not around anymore either. The first motorcycle crash I was ever in was at age 4 or 5. My mom was the driver I was on the back pillion and hit a telephone pole while turning a corner on the street. She also helped me bring home several bikes from cycle shops before I could drive. For those of you who still get to talk your moms savor every minute.

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

joe novak

I will never forget one specific Mother's Day which happened to be on May 13th.  I went to the MX races and broke my leg in three places, plus other injuries.  Hard to forget the look on my Mom's face when she walked into the ER.  May 13th was the date I bought my first motorcycle, too, and it was my Mom who drove out with the truck to pick it up.  I did not have my driver license at the time (too young).  May 13th was the date which I graduated from college, also.  It seems like Mom was there on those dates which changed my life significantly.  I don't remember that day, but she was there for my birth, too.  That's a big day!   joe

acemoto

Paul great post your a class act .
Every thing you do and say makes you a
great ambassador for the Penton Owners Group
Larry

tomale

I lost my Mother 34 years ago. Mom was always my biggest fan... It took me a long time to get past her passing... This year is particularly great... just a month ago my oldest daughter became a mother herself. We were with her to celebrate it with her..It was really special I have much to be thankful for...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

ALB

My mother made her transition 15 years ago. It was an awesome experience that I would love to share.
     Mom was an RN who worked mostly the night shifts whenever she could and somehow managed to raise and support a family of 12 children over a 36 year period of her life. About 25 years ago she underwent bypass surgery after which she said that she will never go through that pain and suffering again. Now being a nurse and seeing almost everything and anything you can imagine that goes on in Hospitals, she new that bypasses typically last about 10 years. Because we are all creatures of habit and after a bypass surgery you have to change your eating habits, mom initially gave up the pastries she loved to eat and they found their way back into her routine. She knew that the clock was counting down on her when the ten year mark approached and this was her secret.

She and my Dad owned a time share down on Santa Bell island in Florida. On their last day of their stay, after loading the car up with their belongings, they stopped over at my Mom's favorite Aunt's house (about 20 miles away) for a visit. Dad noticed that Mom was checking her pulse while she was in the car and that all the running up and down the stairs to remove their stuff from the time share left her breathing heavily and short on breath, but she did not complain. My dad had to drive over to one of the local stores to buy something and while he was gone, my Mother had a major hear attack while talking with her Aunt. Even though the EMS squad was right at the end of my Aunt's street and were there within minutes, my Mother was already gone. She did it her way (she died being with one of the people she most loved and being a nurse she told us more than once that she wanted no part of being put on any machine). Dad arrived as the medics were putting Mom in the ambulance. Now this is where things get interesting. About 2 years prior to this, I was bugging my Dad to update his will and get his affairs in order because he is 9 years older than my Mom I was concerned about his well being and the circumstances that could arise and place by Mother's well being at risk. Well, 1 week before their trip down to Florida, Dad got his act together and not only get new wills drawn up, but he also bought a prepaid funeral. He called the funeral director from Florida and they told him that they will take care of everything, all my Dad had to do was get himself back to Cleveland. Some of you can appreciate all of  the stress and anxiety that was taken off of my Dad's shoulders of dealing with out of state laws and regulations and transporting the loss of a loved one.
     The time delay in transporting my Mom was her gift to bring the family closer together. We had a family get together before the wake to laugh, cry, share stories of our experiences with Mother and make our plans for her wake and funeral. The wake was a wonderful experience with the room filled with family and friends during both the afternoon and evening showings. There was no line that you typically find at most wakes. All of my siblings circulated amongst the crowd welcoming everyone that came. The funeral director made a comment that he had never seen so many people at an afternoon showing.  I was especially in awe of all the neighbors who came telling me of the times that my Mother had helped them care for their sick, or dying loved ones and their gratitude for her unselfish compassion in helping them in their times of need. A few days after the funeral, a couple of my sisters got together at my Dad's house to tackle the emotional duty of sorting through my Mother's belongings. They were both relieved and surprised to find out that my Mother's closets and drawers were cleaned out and there was little for them to do. It was then that they realized that Mom knew that the "big one" was coming and she was giving away her possessions months before her death.

At the time of Mom's departure I was caught up in the wonderful experience of joy and happiness for my Mother because she got her wish – no pain, no suffering, and she went fast.

Thank you Mom, I love you.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

tvrc18

Great story Alan. Your mom was a giving person. I lost my mom about 2 years ago and it is hard on mothers day. I remember all she did for me when I was to young to drive, taking me here and there to get bike parts or to the races. She would give me her last dollar to buy gas so I could go riding and drive me to get the gas. RIP Mom you are missed.
Terry

ALB

To all of you who are reading these postings that have lost their Mother (or loved ones), if you have feelings of sadness, anxiety, or depression near or around these special anniversary dates, you need to take time to grieve. You must forgive her, yourself, and others in order to let go and release them.

At the time during and after my Mother's funeral, I was feeling great because of the wonderful experience that had happened. I had my own baggage of regrets that were buried so deep within me that I had no idea that they were there. The biggest one had to do with me at around the age of twelve. Most of us guys go through the same thing ... we don't want to be seen or perceived as being a "Moma's Boy" so we shove our Mother's love and affection away. I did this and also set up a pattern (habit) of not expressing my love to her which she needed and deserved. This pattern started while I was in grade school and continued through my adult life. I basically closed my heart up to her. Oh, I would talk with her and give her hugs, but it was not the sincere heartfelt type ... I was just going through the motions.
     Three years ago I was in a time and place that afforded me the opportunity to grieve (to honor my mother and forgive myself). This was not preplanned by me. It just came up and happened unexpectedly. This was a gift from her to me that allowed me to open my heart up fully. It has enabled me to perceive and experience life in a whole new light. It was another wonderful experience that I hope that all of you can experience.
   This is not something that can be ignored. Like in the "Christmas Carol" we are like Scrooge's business partner, Marley, who is spending his eternity chained to his worldly deeds. We instead are chained to our loved ones who have hurt us or we have hurt.

Alan Buehner

Alan Buehner

Kip Kern

Fantastic story Al, really enjoyed it a bunch.  My mom is still around at the spry age of 83, she has weathered quite a bit medically but keeps hanging in there.  Tougher than nails and meaner than a snake but she still is mom.  I remember the first bike I financed back in 1972, I had a job working on the neighbors farm and not enough money to get the bike so I had to have someone cosign, mom steps up to the plate without dad knowing (he hated dirt bikes terribly) and I got the bike.  Mom took it pretty good when dad found out and I can never thank her enough.  I never missed a payment on that loan and even paid it off early out of respect for mom putting her life on the line.  Now my dad loves those dirt bikes as they are antiques and cool[?]

Lew Mayer

Thanks for sharing that story with us,Al.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tomale

Great story's  I am thankful that the last couple of weeks I was able to spend a great deal of time with my Dad, He is ok, but I know He goes a little weaker each day... So I cherish each day I still have with him....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W