Dealerships & New KTM's

Started by 454MRW, May 17, 2010, 06:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

454MRW

My local multi-bike dealership near Oblong, IL. has dropped the KTM line except for parts. I had heard this rumor from another person and noted also that the dealership in Mattoon IL. also took down the KTM sign from their window. They both had always stocked a few KTM's and at the Casey IL. Lincoln Trail Motorsports track you could always count on seeing a lot of orange on any given day, racing or not.
I asked the parts manager why they dropped KTM and was told that KTM was requiring a sizeable stocking order to maintain the line and so on. It sounded like it was larger than before and a middle sized dealership just couldn't justify the amount.
I wonder if anyone else has seen the same thing happen in their local dealerships.
In my opinion this is a big mistake on KTM's part and will hurt KTM's overall sales in this tough economy. Personlly I would rather buy from a local personal service dealership than resorting to shop in a big city dealership far from home where #'s are their only concern. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Bob Bean

Michael,
  We were a KTM dealer from the early eighties to the mid ninties.
We dropped them when KTM tried shoving more MX models and Dukes onto our showroom. At that time they wanted to double our normal stock of bikes. I knew that to do so would have overloaded us with stock that would have tied up all our money and eventually would have put us out of business.  I saw many dealers go that route.
  We stuck with KTM in the eighties when they had tough times and I was sorely disappointed with what they pulled on many small dealers during that period.
   Sad to say, but we started making more money in our shop after dropping KTM and doing more street bike stuff.  Even if it felt like selling my soul at the time.
   I still like the bikes.   Just not some of the people running the co.

Bob

1986 ISDE Italy
1987 ISDE Poland
1989 ISDE Germany

brian kirby

All the manufacturers do that, but single line dealers are vulnerable for obvious reasons. Bombardier was the worst with their watercraft. When we took over the line in '98 the forced us to take 2 non-current '97s for every '98 model we got. What can you do? You either have to take them or lose the franchise. When you are a multu-line dealer you are less vulnerable because when push comes to shove you just let that franchise go and carry on with the others.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

tomale

I have a friend that was both a Ducati and KTM for many years,,, He said when Ducati got popular they dropped him because he could not possible sell enough bikes,, bacically the same was true of KTM, What I do not figure is that there were no other dealers selling those bikes in the area.. I think the next closest dealer was three hours away... yea like thats a good Idea, I need my new bikes serviced and I have to take a day off to take it in and another day when it is done, yea that is a good idea!

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

454MRW

I'm just afraid that KTM doesn't fully understand the repercussions of this potential loss of customers nationwide, which will be buying new readily available Honda's & others, since a lot of customers will still buy locally & it will be another hardship to KTM's bottom line at the very least. Mike

Michael R. Winter
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

brian kirby

Normally, from what I've seen, when a manufacturer REALLY pushes a dealership that means they already have another dealership lined up to replace them. Every dealer rep complains about too many other brands, tries to push you to order more of their vehicles and tries to get you to stock more of their parts and accessories. They all do that, but when they try to force you to do something you cant do and still stay in business its usually because they want to move your franchise to another dealership.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

454MRW

I don't even know where the closest KTM dealership in Illinois is now, since those 2 were about 60 miles apart, both within 30 miles of Casey. Champaign, Terre Haute, or Evansville Indianna?

According to their website they are pretty few and far between, Evansville, Terre Haute, and Lafayette in Indianna, and only Springfield, way up in Washington, and Villa park (Chicago) in  IL. Doesn't look good for a new 150 in my sons future. He's not going to be very happy about that. Mike

Michael R. Winter
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Kip Kern

Mike,  We lost our local KTM dealer also, have to drive at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get KTM stuff.  I drive 4 hours one way to get my Husky stuff but Hall's is worth the drive!  Wished I could afford it and I would have a KTM/Husaberg/Husky shop.[:p]

David Laite

I have seen this also as KTM's seem to be migrating to the megacycle superstores like 128 Cycle, a scant two hour ride. Conversely John Deere franchisees were a couple of years ago required to sell John Deere exclusively, with all of the area stores dropping the John Deere line.

1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R
1973 Penton Six Day
1973 Penton Jackpiner
1982 Yamaha XT200
1982 Yamaha XJ650J Maxim
1984 Husqvarna 400WR
1987 Yamaha YZ490
2005 Honda CRF450R

tomale

I do have a KTM dealer accross town but the next KTM dealer, is a 45 min. Ferry ride.. but It is not every 45 min. so It is more like a 2 hour drive each way. I think it is interesting that the guy that use to own a KTM dealer now works behind the counter at a Mega store... Having him there is a great assest... I talk to anyone else and I get that deer in the head light look...

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Jeff D

Holy cow, I hope that does not bode ill for Letko Competition Cycles, the most fantastic dealer I've ever dealt with.  There's a super-mega-multi shop across town run by cretins and ignoramuses (ignorami?)that haven't a clue when it comes to off-road competition.  Jim Letellier is a long-time Penton/KTM dealer.  His son, Leigh, now manages the shop with Jim working the counter most days.  Beautifully restored '72 Piner in the front lobby.  You are not a customer there, you are a friend, fellow cyclist, family.  If it sounds like I can't say enough about them, you're getting the point.  I would hate to see them "downsized" by KTM NA.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

paul a. busick

Why is it that the bean counters always end up with their hands on the tiller?  Seems to me that this happened once before and the dirt bike boys pulled KTM out of the mud.  A few dirt bike riders headed by Ron Bush turn a in the dumper motorcycle builder into the 3rd(?)largest dirt bike manufacturer in the world. I'll bet Rod is doing a burn out over this right now.  The bean counters have a way of making things look good on paper and up the profits over the short haul.  This only builds a house of cards that is sure to collapes. It is just TOO bad that a manufacturer like KTM with such a great history ends up getting slamed by people that could not care less about their dealers and customers.

That being said. :(
See you down Old Dusty,
Amherst Paul

SouthRider

Not to speak poorly of Rod Bush - but it was he that ended the KTM relationship with Competition Cyles in Kenner La when I was the manager there in the early 80's.

That was the shop owned by Don Burgess, and it was Penton dealer number either 0016 or 0021 (memory is fuzzy). Don rode one of those first 10 Pentons given him by John. When he sold it to a friend John sent him 2 more & he became a dealer.

Rod gave us the choice of placing a very large order of bikes or cease being a dealer . At the time the oil economy had crashed in LA, and no one was buying anything. We were basically keeping one new Husky & one new KTM on the floor while trying to keep the doors open.

It was a sad moment for a dealer who had been there since Day 1.

In retrospect I can see the need for business decisions like that by companies, but it still hurt.

That was the moment that we knew the early days (of dealers & manufacturers doing it because they loved the sport & no other reason) were truly gone, and corporate interests had taken complete control of the industry.

It eventually had to happen, and I along with many others ended up having to get real jobs & grow up........
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Rain Man

KTM can do whatever they want, they have the best off road motor cycle in the World!!!  Just count how many new 2010 300 xcw at your next Enduro\Event. KTM is simply unbeatable off road, world wide, and they know it.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tomale

KTM's have always been great bikes, with a base like John Penton, How could you not. This year the Dirt Bike Mag's seem to agree too... Several years ago I had gone to a Beginner's Enduro... I had brought my 76 KTM and that is what I rode. I had the Organizer of the event come up to me and talk to me about KTM's He was amazed that I still had mine and that it was still rideable.. I had said something like Well you know how reliable KTM's are... and He said " The woods are painted Orange"  I knew what he meant.. you go to the woods and you find KTM's everywhere you go... Funny how that is not reflected at the National level of Motocross...

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W