Identify a 1974 Penton 125

Started by classof74, February 17, 2002, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof74

Trying to identify a 1974 Penton 125 6 Days. Anyone know what to look for?

Thanks,

Mark

Doug Wilford

Mark: Send the frame number, you can tell when it was made.   Does it take air from under the gas tank?   Is the side stand on the swing arm?   The plate one the engine what is the type 1251/6? should be B if it is a 74.   What size forks 35mm or 32mm ?

Dwight Rudder

I rode a 74 six day Penton.
Mine had a roundish tank with the full length stripe.  Spring loaded cables holding the tank on. It had a fiberglass heat shield / number plate for the exhaust pipe. The Handlebars had more sweep to them than did the "72-73" models. 35 mm forks. Frame breather. The B engine was modified by KTM .
It had Penton name plates on engine, and "KTM special Tuning " stickers above the Penton. Mine had a 28 mm bing instead of the usual 27mm. It had the taller/narrower seat too. Plastic PVC fenders .
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Cathump

My '74 Six Days has a Sachs 6D engine.

Rick Terry

Dwight Rudder

a 1256D?  With the bolt on manifold ?  Rare!
Mine was close to being a D with the GS porting. Mine would out run Tom Penton's bike up to 65mph where his would pull away.
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Cathump

It's good to know that I have something a bit out of the ordinary. I do not ride this bike as often as I should, since when I purchased it, it only had 364 miles. It has the (what I assume is original) endless chain, and tires.

I am too heavy for it, and will probably put it for sale before long so I can pick up a 250.

Rick Terry