History of VMD

Started by Paul Danik, July 02, 2010, 03:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The first VMD event that I attended was held at the old AMA headquarters in Westerville, Ohio.  I am pretty sure it was the very first Vintage Days event.  They had a swapmeet but it would have almost fit into the area that Pentonville fills toady. I remember Ike Penton riding in on his Harley, I don't remember what year the Harley was but I seem to remember that it was the same bike that he and his new bride had ridden on their honeymoon. Does anyone know what year the event took place at Westerville?   The next year VMD to was moved to Powell Speedway.

Anyone else remember the event at Westerville?  I wonder what the profit would have been if someone had bought every item that was for sale at the swapmeet that year and sold them today, or better yet a year or so ago when prices were pretty much at their peak..

Paul

sachsmx

Paul, I remember very clearly the first VMD in Westerville, but I can't remember the exact year. It was in the early '90s, I believe. I also remember the first VMD at Powell Speedway. I regret not buying more bikes and parts back then :(
Looking back, one of my worst dealings was to sell a pickup truck load of Hodaka bikes and parts for $150, even though I tripled my money on the stash I found in a neighbor's barn [8D]
One of my best deals was purchasing 3 more or less complete but nonrunning KTM 420s for $200 back in 2001. :D

OhioTed

I can remember that the AMA magazine ran an article on that first event, and featured a photograph of Ike Penton on his Harley.  Since I never throw ANYTHING away, I still have all those old AMA mags.  I'll look through 'em and find that issue.

Paul Danik

I do remember a gentleman setting up some Pentons for display at that first event, I think his name was Larry Wahl and he went by Pentons Perpetuated, if anyone knows this gentleman and if I have his name incorrect please correct my information, just going on cobwebs of information.. I have some pictures somewhere from that event.

Speaking of pictures, I have a question / comment about today's digital photography. I have several large drawers full of old pictures from events that have taken place over the last 40 years, to me they are priceless. I just wonder how many of the pictures that are being taken with today's new technology will be available for viewing 40 years from now ? Maybe more, maybe less, I don't know...possibly some folks will put them on discs and archive them, but I think the average guy is going to end up without much photo history of his past, but I hope I am wrong. Judy says that happens alot :)

I remember several items of interest from the event at Powell, one was the Life Member dinner that Larry Maiers MCed. They had a number of folks in attendance with only 3 digits in their AMA number, I think Hank Penton had the lowest number.  The other item was the auction that they had, that is where Al Buehner met his Kenny Robert short tracker, I can still picture him discussing buying it directly from the owner when it didn't hit reserve.

Paul

Paul Danik

I can vaguely remember a mention of a gathering of sorts in Athens, Ohio that somehow provided the spark for the first VMD event, or maybe I have my facts all mixed up.  Does anyone have knowledge of such an event and who put it on?

Thanks
Paul

willstoner

Paul, you are referring to "Heritage Homecoming" that was held in Athens, Ohio in 1990 and 1991. Both years, the activities ended up at AMA HQ in Westerville. 1990 was the opening of the American motorcycle Heritage Foundation Mueum at the AMA offices. Malcolm Forbes was supposed to be the Master of Ceremonies, but he died shortly before the event. Jay Leno stepped up at the last minute.

There was an auction held at least one year, but I don't remember which year. It was run by Mid America Auctions.

Heritage Homecoming had trail and street rides and other activities at the Athens County Fairgrounds.

The Heritage Homecoming event was discontinued after 1991 and the innaugural Vintage Motorcycle Days replaced it at AMA HQ in 1992.

The AMA planned for about one thousand spectators for thefirst VMD and we got about five thousand! The weather was horrible with deluges both Saturday and Sunday. Most of the 106 swap meet vendors got stuck and Yamaha's big display eighteen wheeler (no demo rides until 1993 at Powell) cost several thousand dollars to be extracted from the mire.

Will

Paul Danik

Will,

Thanks for the history lesson.  I remember the Yamaha hauler slowly sinking into the lawn area. Did they have a vintage parade of sorts at Westerville?   I remember a gal in very spiffy period clothing riding a very old motorcycle, possibly an Indian, and for some reason I think she was in a procession of vintage bikes.

Hope all is well on your end.

Paul