THE PENTONMAN SAYS GOODBYE

Started by Larry Perkins, February 25, 2002, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

I have decided to retire from racing.  Retire makes it sound like a career.  Even though my motorcycle and bicycle racing rarely brought money in it has for me been a career.  I have raced most of a lifetime or at least most of the last 35 years.

Between "The Day" and now I won 4 National titles and 5 State titles on the motorcycle and 1 World Championship, 1 National Championship, and 7 State Championships on the bicycle. Not a bad plight for a nutty kid from Texas.  It has been alot of miles and fun.  I have a grandson ready to learn to ride and race now.  Like Bill Cosby I can soon sit in the stands and point to the track and say, "That's my grandson there.  I used to race.  Now he races for me."

Because I am leaving vintage racing I plan to accelerate the selling of my parts and bikes.  I will in the next few months be putting alot more on ebay.  This will include alot of parts that were rat-holed for my projects and race bikes.  Some cool and hard to find stuff.  Check it out the listing has begun and will continue.  I have a couple of bikes I will keep but will sell others as I have them ready or get the right offer as they sit.  Here are a few that will go.

1975 MINT 400 set up for vintage.  This bike was completely overhauled and restored by Bobby Lucas.  It has NEW seals, bearings, gaskets, rod, piston, paint, tire, decals, shocks, pipe, fenders, sidepanels, cables, carb parts, etc.  Started once since.  I have pictures to e-mail and bike is ready for new owner---$4000

1977 MC5 400.  One of my AHRMA National Championship bikes built by Bobby Lucas.  It is race ready and very fresh in every area.  It has 7 or 8 races on it after complete restore chassis and motor.  I have pictures to e-mail and bike is ready for new owner.---$2000.

1974 175 Jackpiner.  Motor is being overhauled as we speak.  This will be sold as one to put together when motor is done or will sell completed.  It is your choice.  Can do pictures but only as a rolling chassis as motor is apart.  Either way the motor will be fresh when bought.---$700-$1200

1972 125 Six Days.  Motor overhauled by Doug Wilford with one ride on it.  The frame is being painted and it will be reassembled.  How much is done after that and whether it is enduro or MX is up to prospect or least path of resistance for me.  No pictures till more is done.---$1000-$1500

1971 125 Six Days in enduro trim.  Pretty decent survivor bike.  It has not been restored.  It starts-goes-stops.  Seat has small tear.  Pictures ready to e-mail and almost ready for new owner.---$1500

1968 125 Six Days.  Runs-goes-stops.  Needs seat recovered and fork seals.  Frame was painted black years ago.  It can go MX or I have the enduro stuff if needed including the big bullet headlight.  Can do pictures but had planned on doing seat and fork seals first.  Can and will do more depending on $$---$1000-$1500

There are more that I will list later.  If you need anything I will always try to help.

I will miss you guys but the flipside is I will catch more trout.  God Bless you all and this great country.  You are welcome at my campfire anytime.

Steve Minor

I know this is was tough decision....and one not made lightly. But I also know you'll fill your "spare time" with new and exciting adventures.....Good luck "Penton Man".....You'll be missed, but somehow I feel you'll be "around".......in one way or the other...

Good Luck,
Steve

Steve Minor

Bryan

Hey Larry I e-mailed you about some parts for my '78 KTM 400 was just wondering if you got it or not. Will you still be selling parts or are you gunna retire that as well?

Bryan
Bryan

scott brogan

Larry does this mean you wil give up recreational riding as well? I hope not. Live to ride, ride to live.

Jeff D

Yikes!!!  Are you still coming up to Harpers for the MOVMX on March 17th?  You've been such a fixture on the vintage scene and such a huge help to so many Penton owners with parts, advice, answers, etc.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but I know there's a ton of us out here who wish you'd stick around.
Jeff

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Jeff D

P.S.  Having seen some of The Penton Man's bikes up close, I can vouch that they are all in top-notch condition.  He does 'em up right when he builds 'em!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

imported_n/a

Larry, don't unload everything.  You may just pull a "Michael Jordan" and make a comeback.

Best of luck in your retirement.

Glenn

Bob Garner

Hey Larry, It won't work. I've tried it in the past!!!! See you at the track>

fzrr750

Larry, good luck. I was impressed with your wins!! I did not know you had so many under your belt. If you have any bodywork/seat/panels/fenders for my 79 KTM 250 MX(MC) please let me know.
 Legends never retire..they just say they did!! The fans won't let them you know.

Many regards.    Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

Paul Danik

Larry,
   I am glad that I am not a trout!!!!  Just because the FAA has new regulations about flight plans doesn't mean you have to quit flying your Penton!!!  Hope you still make Mid-Ohio and some of the other events. We gotta get back to Dick Klamforths this summer for the big cookout on Sat. nite, lots of corn to eat and stories to tell.
 Paul

gary ponce

HELLO, LOOKING FOR A GAS TANK AND SEAT THAT WILL FIT A 1974 250 PENTON FRAME AND ALSO A AIR BOX COVER, IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE PLEASE LET ME KNOW, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RETIREMENT.

gary ponce
gary ponce

hanksie

Hey Larry,First off,thanks for all the help you've been over the past 2 yr's.Hate to see ya hanging up the Hi-Points.Hope you still make Mid-Ohio.Always fun talking to ya.Hot tip,don't sell everything!Keep at least one bike and some gear.I stopped for 10 yr's,now there's a 02 KTM 250 EXC in the garage.Never knew how much I missed it till I started again.   Good luck drowning worms,Bill

rexschwerdt

Quotequote:
Unfortunately few competetors are smart enough to get out while they are "Still on Their Game" and I certainly wish you and yours the best of everyting.............
But I do not know how you will do it.. You see, I have not ridden a motorcycle for several years, haven't wrenched on one either, but there is not a single day that goes by that I do not long for the secence of freedom I use to get by simply tooling down the road on my SL350, XL350, TT500 (The British One)or any of the many MCs I owned.
All things will pass, time marches on and we respect your decision and I encourage you to seek and enjoy, the Other Side Of Life, PTL!!
Respectfully Submitted - 2 Stroke Eddie.

2 Stroke Eddie
2 Stroke Eddie

Mike Lenz

Larry! Quite a shock! All the best to you. Concerning my order still going to put it together or do you just want to sell it all through ebay?
Thanks for everything

czechmate

Larry, God Bless you in your "retirement" and...enjoy your grandson's racing exploits. Could you give me an address or phone number for your engine man, Bobby Lucas? Thanks!