Mis-Hap Ohio (Thank you Gresham's)

Started by Dale Fisher, July 12, 2010, 12:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

(Or how many Gresham's does it take to start a Triumph)

With a goodbye said to the race ready Berkshire and Cheney I loaded up the Triumph and headed to Ohio to do battle in the 50+ Super Senior Open class.  Where the heck else could I enter it.  Saturday morning and raceday at hand I enlisted some help from a couple of friends to help with the launch control.

For those of you that were there you know the morning motocross practice was less than ideal.  The night before I prepared by purchasing some tin cookie sheets and duct tape.

Next came the legends tour around the track.  So, give a group of motorcycle legends some borrowed Husky's and guess what happens.  They pass the honoree Malcom a half lap in and began racing each other.  The AMA so impressed let them go out again and race some more.  Breaking bikes and getting the bikes nice and dirty.

And even the legends fall down in the nasty clay mid-ohio mud.

So here's the launch team.  I can't express enough the thank's to the Gresham brothers for providing mental and motion support.

One Gresham (and the loose grass) couldn't get the Mighty Triumph to go.....

It take's two Gresham's to get the old girl going.....

First race I was off like cement blocks were tied to the swingarm as most disapeared into the distance.  The kickstater kept swinging out everytime I went around a right turn resulting in a corresponding slow down to get it back into place.  Reviews of the scoring sheet before the second race showed that a third of the B/C class in race eleven either broke, or packed it up and went home.  There was a lot of falling and broken bikes on the "vintage" greasy in places and rutty track.  The second race I was off like a herd of turtles again but finally was getting the feel of the track and Triumph.  Tearing along the main straight and towards the crowd I entered the turn in front of them and exited without event only to have the engine quit.  First inspection showed gas and with a small hill in front I tried a run and bump.  Nothing.  Next inspection showed I had kicked off the spark plug wire somehow.  Wire back on.  Up the bump.  Quick breather.  Down the hill, run and bump, Triumph fires, too much gas, Dale is now being dragged behind the bike, scootches up to fender, slows down and is able to get up on the seat.  All in front of the main spectators, I'm sure they had a laugh [8D]

Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

tofriedel

Dale, great story and excellant photos.

I'm sorry that I wasen't there to enjoy your race.  It appears you kept everyone in good humor.

Tony
Tony

Charles Gresham

No problem Dale :)

1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1973 Honda CL 100
1978 Suzuki RM 125
1983 Honda XL 185
1993 Yamaha RT 180
1974 Penton 250 Hare Scrambler
1976 Penton GS6 125
1974 Yamaha MX100