Headlight and Tailight on a GS6?

Started by Idorace, July 29, 2010, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idorace

I purchased a GS6 last November from the second owner that had it for 30 years, only has 1030 miles on it.  The VIN is 70604510, yet it is titled as a 1978, kind of odd?

Anyhow, what would it take electrically to put a headlight and tail light on this bike if at all possible.

Jeff

Kip Kern

Easy, Preston petty front with 12v bulb, and rubber flappy license style on rear with 12v bulb.  Wire direct to the terminal block from the motoplat, use yellow for the headlamp and green for the taillamp.  When you start the bike, the lights will be on! Make sure all connections are clean and tight, make sure your motoplat and coil is grounded well. CIAO

tofriedel

Jeff,

I have the same year, model and the 2nd owner for the last 15 years.
Great bike.

As for the title listing as a 1978, most states list the model year of a new bike as the year it was titled.  The bike probably wasn't sold until 1978 or the owner didn't title it until 1978.  Pretty common event.

Tony
Tony

Idorace

Thank you to everybody.  Mike, your bikes look great.  Does your tail light have a brake light?  Also, what do you think about me riding my 250 GS6 on the street (40 mph speed limit) to work every once in a while?  It is about a 5 miles each way.

Jeff

tofriedel

Jeff,

I have ridden one from Texas to Berlin in a WFO race with no problem.

That is Texas,MD to Berlin,MD, approximately 200 miles.

Tony
Tony

Steve Minor

Yeah you can ride it on the street...but if you have a long straight section of road and travel at a constant speed, my advice is to use the choke to enrich the mixture. This will reduce the odds of buring a piston.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Bob Seymour

Mike,
Very nice bike! Could you tell me what brand or where you purchased the handlebars that are on your bike? They do'nt appear to be swept back much, which is what I prefer. So many vintage bars have that swept back bend to them that put your wrists at such a odd/uncomfortable angle. Thanks for any info you can provide.
                                                        Bob

checkcrew

Bob, hi,
The bars on the 250 are replacements, they were on the bike when i bought it, i have a few bikes that have that same bend bar on them, i will try and research that !

The bars on the 125 are origional from 1976, Charlie Robinson from Ok. [[email protected]] is in the process of re-popping the origional bend
i will contact him to check on his progress

OK, thanks for the compliment on the bikes,

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

checkcrew

Jeff,

thanks for the kind words,

the 125 has a brake light set up, easy install and wire-up,
as far as street use, Tony and Steve have given you good guide lines, Steve's comment about the handle bar enrichener will save you a motor,

Good luck,

Quotequote:Originally posted by Idorace

Thank you to everybody.  Mike, your bikes look great.  Does your tail light have a brake light?  Also, what do you think about me riding my 250 GS6 on the street (40 mph speed limit) to work every once in a while?  It is about a 5 miles each way.

Jeff

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Idorace

Mike:

I found the headlight set-up and the tailight lens.  What did you use for the tailight bracket/lamp holder, and also what parts did you use for the brake light switch?  I decide I am definitely going to do this.

Jeff

checkcrew

Jeff,

the PP rear tail light/fender had there own bulb holder arrangement,
you can fab a simple bulb holder with a band clamp and attach it to the fender under the lens,

the brake light switch i believe came from Al B.,
check his online catalogue, he is in the suppliers section,

hope this helps,
good luck,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Bob Seymour

Mike,
I'm still looking for some nice vintage handlebars for a couple projects I want to keep moving along with. Any luck or recall on finding where those bars on your 76 GS came from? I'd be open to some sugestions by others,also. I have used the Renthal vintage high desert bend and like those,but looking for some other and maybe less costly options. I dont like my bars swept back much and I noticed a number of the chrome vintage bars do that. Thanks in advance for all input.
     Bob

sixdazed

Bob,There's a set of Tomaselli mx bars-(like stock)on e bay penton section.The ad says 2" sweepback-they look almost flat/straight to me.Have a look.
                                Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Hank McCurdy

Bob,
Google 'Fly Racing Alumasteel Vintage Chrome' handlebars. These are similar to Penton GS6 bars (and other Penton models too, I think.) They have a bit more sweep back. Although the chrome is not very nice, they are cheap, about 25 bucks. It's tough to find a picture of these - the photos usually shown for this line are not the 'vintage chrome' model. Good luck.
Hank

454MRW

I mistakenly bought a set of those Fly Racing alumasteel bars once, never again, they are oversize and require die grinding to fit down in the clamps and on the bar caps and even the inside of a Magura trap door throttle to be able to fit onto the larger diameter bars. It was a bad way to ruin a good Magura throttle for use on any other bar after that. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR250
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R & CR150R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R