I NEED HELP!!! 125cc six days

Started by BrOpus, March 01, 2002, 05:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Annan

I'm agree with Paul.  

YOU DEFINITELY WON THE BIKE LOTTERY !!

You have what sounds like a good example of an early Penton.  If you decide to sell it you will have no problem finding buyers here.  As Paul suggested get it running and ride it a little, but don't thrash it.  Removing the engine side covers and having a look is a good idea.  You will be able to completely drain the old oil from the transmission and have a good look at the clutch.  It will also enable you to get an idea about any internal rust (due to condensation or water in the oil).  I would also recommend pulling of the head and having a look at the cylinder and top of the piston.  Removing the cylinder is also a good idea. If the piston is bad it is better to find out now than start it up and have it come apart and cause some REAL damage.  (look for cracks in the skirt in the corners of the cutouts).  Finding a good tank for your bike could potentially be rather expensive.  First clean out the inside of yours,  I'd bet it will be fine.  (a little muriatic acid works great)  Do you have access to a digital camera?  A few pictures would be great, (a picture is worth a thousand words).   Contact Al or Larry from the Parts page.  They will have all the manuals and gaskets you will need.  (and many of the other parts you will eventually want)  Have fun and good luck.

Mark

PS I also won the lottery, but that was back in ''81 when the prize wasn't nearly as valuable.  

I just realized, you must have been born in ' 83 if you are starting collage this fall.

BrOpus

Yep, that makes me 18 and I live in Charlotte, NC.  I'm getting pretty enthusiastic about getting her running again and I'm spending just about every free moment trying to get it working.  I definitely will plan a road trip to Ohio this july to feed my new found "addiction" (I just need to know specifically where it will be held), and if any of you guys will be there, I'd like to know.  I have a digital camera and I'll take some pics if you'll tell me where to send it.  And about those screws on the transmission cover - they just don't want to budge.  I tried this stuff called Fre-eze overnight, but it doesn't help.  Any ideas?  And the gas tank looks not all that bad, it's just badly rusted on the inside.  I mean, when I poured all the old fuel out, it was mixed with rust chips.  Will muriatic acid get rid of that?
Oh yeah, and Paul?...no lights, unfortunately.
-Mike
[email protected]

Kip Kern

Mike

The Vintage Day's East is held in July, 19-21 at Mansfield Ohio (Mid Ohio Sports Car Course).  Yes, everyone will be there with their bikes and parts so plan on the trip.  Row "G" of the swapmeet area!

Mark Annan

Mike,

There will be a bunch of POG people there. Including the #1 man, John Penton.  To put it in a nut shell.  One of the best men you will ever meet.  An expert rider, businessman, innovator, and truly nice guy.  Bring your bike (or just the tank) and have him autograph it for you.

You might want to check out another web site/group.  Vinduro  There is another bunch of great guys there (several of them are POG members also) that can help you out and offer advise.  You can post pictures there.  Check out the site and you will find a link to joining their email group where you can post the pictures.

//www.vinduro.com

You can also set up a personal photo page on Yahoo so you can share photos with the whole world.

http://photos.yahoo.com/    

Yes, the acid should do a good job of cleaning out the tank.  Pour a little in (1/2 cup or so) and slosh it around.  Repeat until clean.  Don't let the acid stay in contact with the outside of the tank (or anything else you want to keep nice looking).  Have a hose or bucket of water ready to rinse off and spills or splashes.  You might want to add something to the mix to help knock some of the crud loose.  A few small rocks or a hand full of small nuts and washers.  Remove the petcocks and put rubber stoppers in their place.  Try and do the same for the filler.  You may want to put some tape over the plugs to keep them from working loose during the shaking.  When you get it cleaned out flush it thoroughly with water.  Blow out as much of the water as you can and then rinse it out with alcohol a couple of times.  Then blow it out again.  If you can do it put it in a warm (not hot) oven for a while to completely dry it.  After all this you can put a little oil in the tank and coat the inside to protect it for a while.  You might want to seal the inside of the tank.  There are several products out there that do a good job.  If you get one of them follow their directions about cleaning the tank.

Eastwood sells a highly recommended tank sealer.  I haven't personally used it but know several people that have and really like it.

http://www.vista1.com/eastwood/

Many small screws on motorcycles can become rather reluctant to move after 30 years.  Get yourself one of those impact drivers you hit with a hammer.  They work great.  The blow from the hammer driver the bit into the fastener while simultaneously rotating it.  The shock also helps rattle loose some of the corrosion in the threads.

Regards,  Mark      

PS I'm in St. Louis and I won the Penton lottery in '81 when I was 16.

BrOpus

Okey, I picked up an impact driver today, and it took 2 screws off.  As for the other screws, they will not budge.  Should I get a tap and die set, tap the old screws out, and put in replacement screws?  Do you think it will be ok to leave the transmission cover alone?

BrOpus

Ah, before I forget, I tested the ignition and there's no spark from the plug... I even tried touching the hot wire but, again, nothing.  I'll take pictures of it all and post them on yahoo so you can take a look for yourselves.  Repair manual is on the way!!!

Paul Danik

If the slots in the screws are in decent shape you should be able to get them out. Lay that engine on the right side so you are hitting straight down. Lay it on something solid, don't use a mattress, wood is best.  Get a good grip on that inpact driver and make sure it is set to turn the proper direction when you hit it. Hit that sucker like you mean it. As far as the electric goes, that ignition should have points in it, they have to be in decent shape and set properly.  If this project isn't done before school starts this fall, just take it with you.  We used to work on them all nite in the motel room, a dorm isn't much different.  Those older ones fit real easy in the elevator late at nite!!!

john durrill

Mike,
if you get one case off dont let the shafts ( transmision , crank) touch when you hit the impact driver. that will put the bearings in a bind and may throw the crank out of true. You can build a little 2 x 4 frame to rest the engine cases on and have the shafts in the clear. Have you used an impact driver before? Not to be a wise guy but have it twisted in the direction you want the screw to turn and push down slightly on it. It will feel a little springy like that and works a lot better.
Good luck and congrats on the find,
John & Peter

don howard

Hi Mike. It sounds like your on your way to Pentonsville,enjoy a fine Machine. About your rusty steel tank, i have a 71 six day with a tank in the same condition as yours. I used a rust remover and inhibitor called Rustol it worked great. hereis the email //www.sudco.com give them a call. I still run a small filter just in case of the small stuff and so you can take a look at the gas flow.  Don Howard

tmc3c

Mike you hit the lotto big!!I used to race a steel tank back in the 70's in Charleston s.c. I found a 1976 250mc5 in a barn here in Greenville s.c. for a $100.00 and thought I hit it big,and still do.I am in resto stage now,like yourself.Take your time with that piece of history . I would love to see it a hare scramble on show for all to see!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler