Barber Vintage Festival

Started by Gordon Brennan, August 15, 2010, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

OK Big guy make sure the Kid makes us Proud.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Ernie Phillips

Looking forward to a fun weekend.   The Kid will be going up against Dwight in Open Expert.   Christopher has been able to keep Mr. Rudder in check only because Dwight chooses to ride that sloogy Ossa in the 2-Day events.  Since they will both be riding 250 Penton's, I expect Dwight to be taking names ... and laying a good o' woopin' on the young folks.  Dwight has won overall on a stock Wombat at Barber before!  It should be good.  I hope to catch some of the action as they lap me.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dwight Rudder

LOL, That sloggy Ossa had a bad rod, .011 clearance on Piston and a single ring with .120 end gap.  Makes me wonder how it even ran.  And I thought it ran good. It will be fresh at the ISDTR.

Dale Fisher

Barber pre-entries posted yesterday. The MX was pulled back this morning possibly for some corrections.

156 - MX
54  - XCountry
10  - Trials
487 - RR Day 1
337 - RR Day 2

1972 Cheney Sachs
1972 Suzuki GT380
1972/73 Cheney Sachs Project
1973 Triumph TR5MX
1973 Penton Jackpiner Project
1974 Penton Berkshire
1974 Honda MT125
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Bill Ryburn

Maybe. If I go I'll ride cross country Friday, and probably my SoCal Berkshire in MX Saturday which has a perfect 1-1-1-1 moto score so far at Barber.
Brian

Hey Brian:  Am I missing something or am I misinformed, or what?  I thought the CC was on Saturday and the MX on Sunday - not Friday and Saturday. My plan is to arrive late Friday. I don't want to miss watching the CC.
Bill Ryburn

Ernie Phillips

Dear Missing Something,

Righty-thighty, Lefty-loosey. Race days; CC on Saturday, VMX on Sunday.

The Kid and I will arrive Friday PM or maybe Saturday AM.  Save us a spot.  -EP

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

firstturn

OK Big guy make sure the Kid makes us Proud.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Ernie Phillips

Looking forward to a fun weekend.   The Kid will be going up against Dwight in Open Expert.   Christopher has been able to keep Mr. Rudder in check only because Dwight chooses to ride that sloogy Ossa in the 2-Day events.  Since they will both be riding 250 Penton's, I expect Dwight to be taking names ... and laying a good o' woopin' on the young folks.  Dwight has won overall on a stock Wombat at Barber before!  It should be good.  I hope to catch some of the action as they lap me.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dwight Rudder

LOL, That sloggy Ossa had a bad rod, .011 clearance on Piston and a single ring with .120 end gap.  Makes me wonder how it even ran.  And I thought it ran good. It will be fresh at the ISDTR.

Dwight Rudder

Well, THE KID (Christopher),  Spanked me.  I got the hole shot and lead over half the event.  My bike started pinging under full throttle then started pinging like it was running out of fuel. Might have tried to sieze a couple times so I started short shifting and ran the choke half on.  I think it either had something blocking main jet or it was starving for fuel for some reason. I tried to pull float bowl after the event but couldn't without removing engine brace.  I ended up 3rd in class, 4th OA.  Baby Brian also caught and passed me on his Berkshire 100cc.
I plan on checking it out a bit later.  Probably after the ISDTR.
Dwight

Dale Fisher

Hmm, Kirby grabs the holeshot again.  Was hoping to be caught in the helmet cam.

Kirby takes top honors in the 100cc expert class.  

1972 Cheney Sachs
1972 Suzuki GT380
1973 Triumph TR5MX
1974 Penton Berkshire
1974 Honda MT125
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

Ernie Phillips

Dale,  Thanks for the great photos and for making the long haul to Barber.  I apologize for not stopping by for a visit.  Race day gets too busy sometimes.  Great to see all those red tanked Pentons --- where, oh where, are all those super rats?

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ernie Phillips

According to the Kid, it took two kicks to fire his Hare Scrambler and as he hit the woods he was near the back of the pack and thought "I'll never catch those guys."  But as kids will do, he put his head down and pushed hard.  I got a good start and was running about 5 or 6.  Greg Holder spun out in front of me and as I squeezed by, I smiled to myself and thought bye-bye Greg.  Well, that didn't last long.  Greg got back by when I bobbled.  Christopher got by about midway through lap one.  The rest of my race was more of the same -- getting passed by black stripes and a few yellows.  I will add though, that I did enjoy riding the Berkshire instead of the Hare Scrambler.  The small bore CMFs are so easy to ride.  I'm just not good enough nor strong enough to ride a 250 effectively.

It was exciting watching as the top riders blew past while lapping me about mid-race.   First, it was Christopher who came flying by ... just on the edge crashing.  Since he was solo, I thought he might have had trouble and somehow I had passed him back and didn't notice him along the trail.  Not so.  A few minutes later, Dwight, Brian, Lambreth came smoking by so I knew the Kid was leader of the pack.   I'm sure the fans got a good show as Dwight, Brian, Lambreth were hooked nose-to-tail lap after lap.  Brian is back where he ought to be ... racing a 100cc instead of a big bore.  Barber CC is tight and the little bikes can fly with a skilled pilot at the controls.

Dwight, the Kid refused to ride his Scrambler in VMX on Sunday.  Said he, "I've got to save it for Combs ... after all, the Ossa has a new piston and Dwight is really hard to pass and he never makes a mistake!"   Getting ready for team competition at Combs:  1. Tulsa Trail Riders 305 (Husky), 2. The Flying Squirrels 455 (Penton), 3. White Lightning 744 (Ossa).   It's all good.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Dale Fisher

One more of the Penton crew.  Fred's giving me the look, he was riding Corky's Hodaka.

1972 Cheney Sachs
1972 Suzuki GT380
1973 Triumph TR5MX
1974 Penton Berkshire
1974 Honda MT125
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Mudlark Registry

firstturn

Dale,
  Thanks for the pictures.....looks like a great line up for the 100 class.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh